MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Grandma stopped treatment and tranfusions

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Grandma stopped treatment and tranfusions

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Kim Alexander
    Participant

Hi I just found this group. I wish I did sooner. My 89 year old grandmother has been fighting this since last August. Wednesday her and her doctor decided to stop treatments and transfusions. Very sad day at the center. She is home and enrolled in hospice. She was getting blood and platlets once a week and could have increased to much more. But spending every day all day at center then straight to bed didnt sound good to her. Average hemoglobin 6 platelets 3 to 5. They gave one last transfusion and platelets Wednesday. The next morning she seemed slightly better then day before but that obviously didn’t last long. When I ask what to expect no dr or hospice can tell me anything but they will make her comfortable. With assistance she still walks using walls and furniture but very weak and tired and aching. Vitals are all still good…..I’m so afraid I didnt push her to fight longer@

mdsfound

Dear Kim, Thank you for your post with information regarding your grandmother’s health. I know this is a difficult situation for you and I would recommend that you take her to one of our Centers of Excellence in MDS for a second opinion just to make sure she isn’t being undertreated and that there may be options for her to have a better quality of life. Following is a link to our Centers of Excellence worldwide https://www.mds-foundation.org/mds-centeres-of-excellence/. I hope this information helps. This is a very difficult situation for you. Hopefully another treatment and eventually a cure will result from our efforts.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert