MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Hemoglobin numbers required for transfusion.

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Hemoglobin numbers required for transfusion.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    lynne
    Participant

I was wondering what protocol your oncologist uses to determine if you need transfusion. Mine says no transfusion until I’m in the 7’s,and then only one bag. I get two bags if I’m in the 6’s,and the one time I was in the 5’s I got three bags. Lynne

Kathy Stermer
    Participant

My threshold is 7 and below that I get 2 units. Mostly it’s based on symptoms of feeling the low hgb but per my doc it’s too much work on the heart when numbers get too low. It will all depend on your age, general physical condition and symptoms. Some don’t tolerate the low number well at all. I’ve found that my body has become to compensate so that I can function pretty well in the 7’s but start to feel it when I get down to the mid 6’s. It will be different for each individual. If you feel like crap you’re probably low enough to need some blood.

Ian Palangio
    Participant

How you feel at different Hb levels will be unique to you. I’ve had low HB for a couple of years and generally tolerate it fairly well. I feel pretty lousy when I’m low 5 or high 4’s. Ideally for me I feel good and normal for everyday activity if I’m above 6. I get 3 units every 3 weeks – and I’m usually mid 5’s or 6 on average for my cross match test the day before transfusion.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert