MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

hemoglobin

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board hemoglobin

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    sarah

Hi everyone, yesterday my husband had his regular 8 week CBC. For the first time his RBC and hemoglobin is dropping. Hgb was 9.7 RBC was 3.5. Platelets increased to 88000, WBC 4.1, anc 1.7. He so very tired, no energy. What are others doing when Hmg drops?
    Thanks

Terri

Hi Sarah, Bob takes a lot of Vitamins B12, B complex and Also is on Protein diet per the Nutritionist. No white sugar, flour etc etc.
    We eat fish, Red meats sometimes, Lots of green veggies. also on procrit

gemloyear

Hi Sarah, Glen has been prescibed iron pills ( ferrous sulfate 325 mg. inj. of procrit 2 times per week for 2 yr., now taking aranesp instead of the procrit.Took 6 wk. of Ferracit by infusion,all to build up his rbc & hgb. His rbc counts have come up to normal & have remained that way. His platelets are always low, and fluctuate a lot,( thrombocytopenia).His wbc runs high always.We eat more red meat now,& many green & orange vegetables. Take multi. vitamins.Does your husband see a hemo. doc.?We always ask doc about anything he takes other than meds.with all of this he is always fatigued, and tired, and sleeps a lot. It sounds like your husband needs something for building up his blood. I hope this helps a little.

Ellie

Terri

Sarah as Ellie said I forgot Bob does take Iron Supplements as well, Ultimate Iron by Enzymathic or something like that Besides the Iron also has other vitamins as well. THe Hemo and the Nutritionist both advise us on the Iron Supplement especially since Bob has been Tx free. Our doctor indicated on the CBC when the MCV level is low that can mean the iron is low.
    Today was round 6 started on Vidaza, HGB up to 11.3, RBC 4.54 WBC 10 still norm but high and plts 77.

Eating healthy really makes a difference. I always try to make a lot of veggies every which way so that Bob doesn’t get tired of them he was never big on Veg.

I hope Charlie starts doing better and counts start coming up.

sarah

Thank you Terri and Ellie for your replies and most helpful information. I am so thankful I have so many wonderful friends on this forum, that I can call on daily. Terri, sounds like Bob is doing well with the Vidaza. Hope it continues with success.
    Take care,
    Sarah

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert