MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Hgb level for transfusion

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Hgb level for transfusion

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

what is the lowest the hgb should be, for an MDS patient to get a transfusion?

Brad Smith
    Participant

My wife is the patient but we have never seen a consistent cutoff for transfusion. She has been in the 5-7 range and gotten 1-2 units. I suspect that there are more things to look at rather than just the hgb number.

Cheryl McCall
    Participant

My Hgb is between 8 and 9 and I’ve been told I’m not sick enough for blood transfusion, or participation in a clinical study. And at 68 I’m too old for a bone marrow transplant. Guess I should feel lucky the doctor bothers to see me once a month.

Dr. Lin
    Participant

It is usually the symptoms of anemia, tiredness/shortness of breath, that determines when to transfuse. Re: age and transplant – it is the biological age of your body that matters. See a blog I wrote a few years back:
    https://www.cancer.net/blog/2018-08/bone-marrow-transplants-and-older-adults-3-important-questions

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert