MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

how can they be sure of my diagnosis

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board how can they be sure of my diagnosis

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    J.claire

The hematologist says the marrow biopsy shows that I have RA. How can they be sure? I feel fine. The WBC is under 2 but it has been lower than normal for at least 3 years. Is it the look of the cells that they go by? I feel good. I run 5 miles a day and eat only veggies and soy for protein. I’m so glad I foundthis forum. Thanks for listening.

chuckk333

Did they do a cytogenetic analysis? Abnormal chromosomes? What is the rest of your CBC #’s?

chuckk333

also what is your age?

J.claire

Thank you for your questions. The pathology report from the bone marrow biopsy is hard to understand, but basically it seems to me that everything like promyelocites, lymphocytes, etc, are within normal although on the low end. The M:E ratio is decreased. The diagnosis says “hypocellular marrow with trilineage hematopoiesis and relative erthroid hytperplasia.” The chromosome stuff was perfectly normal. then, at the end, it says, “mild dyserythropoiesis including mild megaloblastoid changes, some nuclear irregularity, occasional keryorhexis… I do not know what any of that means. I looked up some of the words in a medical dictionary, but basically it seemed like it was not too serious, although my hematologist told me it was very serious, and he is usually laid back. I turned age 51 yesterday. Thank you so much for answering my post.

J.claire

Dear Chuck,
    Yesterday I went to the doctor’s office and got my CBC’s. This is what it said: RBC=3.4, Hgb=12.0, Hct=34, Plt=164, WBC=2.4 I’m so glad you mentioned that I should know these numbers. They were not part of the bone marrow biopsy, so I did not have them. I’m still a little confused. My hematologist is setting up an appointment at Dana Farber in Boston for a second opinion. I wonder if they will do another biopsy. I keep thinking this could all be a mistake because I feel pretty good. I run every day 5 or 6 miles and I’ve always been this really optimistic, spiritual person. My therapist says I am in denial or “numb” but that it’s ok. How are you? Did you used to think about it a lot when you were first diagnosed?

chuckk333

Clair,

My diagnosis (dx) was in June and I thought about it a lot and still do, but I am continuing along. Look up some of my other posts and you can see the questions I have asked of the forum and what my present course of action is after traveling to 2 Centers of excellence (you’ll find them through the MDS home page. You are in Mass, and there are a couple of excellent centers there, including Dana Farber. I travelled from Denver to one of them at UMass in Worcester. Dr. Raza heads up a Center for MDS there. Also consulted with City of Hope near Los Angeles. I have just arrived in Colorado today and plan to spend the winter skiing, but will check my blood counts about every 3 weeks.

Above all, don’t panic, as I was advised after my first post. Keep up finding all you can.

Another site fo refer to is the AA&MDS international Foundation. They have lots of support materials and will send you a whole package, which will help you understand this disease. http://www.aamds.org/aplastic/

I still have no symptoms

chuckk333

Happy Birthday. May you have a lot of them.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert