MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

How do I know when the,

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board How do I know when the,

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Anita Finer
    Participant

transfusions are not working and I’m near the end.
    I am 89 have had MDS for about 16 months. My hgb drops every 10 days.
    I have shortness of breath , but I’m also asthmatic. I am beginning to feel less interested in food, but still a healthy appetite.
    Legs swell, white corpasules, reD ,Platelets are way down. I sleep lot, and am always fatigued. It is harder to find a match for my o positive blood
    Am I near the end?
    I’M ASKING SO PLEASE BE STRAIT WITH ME, I WANT TO KNOW,IS IT THE END AND WHEN DO I STOP TRANSFUSIONS. YOUR OPINION PLEASE
    THANK YOU
    ANITA

• This topic was modified 4 weeks, 1 day ago by Anita Finer.
    Amy Clark
    Participant

Anita,
    My friend, it seems that your question would best be asked of someone who knows you and sees you regularly. All of us here are not in that position and I doubt many of us want to speculate on what the “right” answer is for you. That being said… Yes, what you describe can happen at the end of this life with MDS, but it can also happen during treatment. If transfusions are your only treatment, then I believe that you (with input from a doctor or a son or a daughter) can decide when the transfusions are giving too little benefit. For some persons with MDS it is when the transfusions only last a few days, for others it is when the transfusions don’t give any benefit at all. I will pray you can make a decision in peace about them. I will pray you are also able be close to God no matter what happens. Sending hugs and prayers.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert