MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

How long Has everyone Lasted?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board How long Has everyone Lasted?

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Author
    Bec

Hey all, I just updated my profile at bottom. Dad is doing great and just hit year 7. He is doing better today than he was when he was first diagnoised. WE contribute it to God, positive attitude, still working and moving, low dose of steroids and procrit, and prayer.

Sometimes I hesitate to post because Dad is doing so well. I do not want to sound proud or “braggy”. But I hope his progress will help someone else live better and longer. AND to never give up hope. Dads tx have been needed every week in the past. He is now going on week 17 without a tx. He has to go visit his tx nurses because they miss him HA

We feel very blessed and send our prayers to all.
    I pray for the whole web site.
    Bec

Russ P.

Bec,
    Glad to hear your Dad is doing well.
    Let us know the type and dosage of the steroid he’s on. I always seemed to be helped a bit with prednisone but hesitated to stay on it.
    Russ

Bec

Hey Russ, I called Dad and he is on 5 mg of predisone. The reason the Dr. decided to try it was because he noticed that everytime he got pnemonia they put him on steroids and his counts went up. Now he takes it every day. Seems to work for him but remember we are all different. My Dad has no blast that we know of. He also still takes 60,000 mg of procrit. Today he went to Dr. and hgb went up to 9.5. His other counts were good also. (some low, some high but overall good) He has now gone 16 weeks without tx. WE are celebrating…
    I hope this helps. Dad did not like idea of steroids all the time but the alternative was not desirable either. His Dr. is amazed and really does not what is going on. If you read my past post, you will see how sick he has been.

I keep praying for cure..
    Bec

Russ P.

Bec, Thanks.
    I too pray for the whole forum.
    Blessings,
    Russ

choijk

Wow predisone…. Bec I am really happy for you and your dad! What joy! Please keep us updated! This really gives me great hope, esp tonight because tomorrow we have a f/u appt with the doc. I really hate these kinds of nights because I am always so scared to hear bad news =(

annie-anne

Hi Julie,
    Annie-Anne… Age 73, Dx 2001, MDS only tho I was anemic for at least six years previous. My hemotologist told me he knew of people living for 17 years, and I would also.Rx oral iron only. DX. MDS RAEB 5Q/chromo 9. blasts 10% in Jan. 2007 and started Dacogen approx 5days per round, monthly. Over past ten mos.. some procrt, Aranespe,12 units packed cells, and a bout with Neutropenia. I’ve done pretty well and start my 11th round of chemo tomorrow. Also, I give myself Nupergen inj. for two weeks post chemo. Good luck with your database, we are all different!!!!!!!

Viewing 6 posts - 31 through 36 (of 36 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert