MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

How to determinate if my dad has MDS

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board How to determinate if my dad has MDS

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    kerrylai

Hi,
    The strange thing happen. My dad was treated as CLL since 2004 in UCSF with Dr. Damon. and Dr. Damon gave my dad chlorambucil for few times without resopnse. then, he gave dad Fludara and Rituxin with very good response. ( normally, people need to 6 runs but my dad only 3 runs and completed the treatment ).Dr said my dad is almost remission, and it would come back after 3 years. During this 3 years, my dad only need to do the blood test and make sure the WBC is stay normal.

So, I still remeber the last day of treatment is June 7th.

July 4th is the day I came back from vocation, my dad call me and said his WBC is drop to 600. I was scare to death. I sent my dad to ER and Doctors in ER do nothing because my dad has no other sign except his WBC is very very low. Then, ER release my dad and make an appointment to Another Doctor ( Dr. Martin ) who also sever in blood disorder in UCSF. Dr. Martin ask my dad to do the born marrow. and few days later, I went to see Dr. Martin, he told me that in my dad’s born marrow report find out MDS, but he is not sure of the %, so he want me to come back with our primary doctor who is dean of the blood disorder department in UCSF. But Dr. Martin mention, he found our my dad has MDS and also said if MDS exceed certain percentage, my dad only has 6 months. Dr.Martin also said the % MDS in born marrow is not sure yet. however, at that point, there is no sign of CLL in my dad’s born marrow.

Then, we wait for our primary doctor- Dr. Damon to explain the %. Guess what, Dr. Damon said there is no sign of CLL in my dad born marrow in this point
    Dr. Damon is also said due to Fludara and Rituxin is still in my dad’s body. It will still try to kill the non-function WBC. ( the first run treatment, my dad’s WBC from 65,000 drop to 5,000) and wait for WBC come up, then do the second treatment, and third treatment.

OF course, I am really really happy that my dad has no sign of MDS, but it is very very strange two doctors have totally different explaination.
    Somehow I found I am not really comfortable with totally different answer.

My dad has clsoe normal RBC, and plate. I do not know how to determinate if you have MDS ? does anyone know ??

Suzanne

As far as I know the only sure way is from a Bone marrow biopsy. I would also be unhappy with doctors unable to tell you the % of blasts in the marrow and the different opinions of the results if both doctors are experienced with MDS. Is his regular doctor at a Center of Excellence and experienced with MDS? If so, my guess is that they will wait a while and run a second BMB and look for any change especially if he is still taking drugs that could have effected his counts.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert