MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

How to increase neutrophils

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board How to increase neutrophils

Tagged: 

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Paula Voell
    Participant

Hi, I’m dealing with MDS -5q and have developed neutropenia after taking Revlimid 10mg once per day for 14 days. I was told to stop the Revlimid on June 1 when my neutrophils were 0.5 and was put on antibiotic and antiviral meds and soon will add an antifungal med. Can anyone advise on ways they have increased their neutrophil count? I saw an article recently that consuming dark chocolate has a benefit.
    Paula Voell, age 79 diagnosed in May 2021.

Jack Allen
    Participant

Hi Paula,

I was on Revlimid 10mg for almost 2 years and it worked very well for about 18 months.
    My neuts also went below 0.5 but I was given NeuLasta, one needle/month and my neuts stayed well above 1.0.
    I have since seen some notes about side effects but I never had any that I know of, and hey in our world everything can have severe side effects

Jack Allen
    Participant

Hi Paula,

I was on Revlimid 10mg for almost 2 years and it worked very well for about 18 months.
    My neuts also went below 0.5 but I was given NeuLasta, one needle/month and my neuts stayed well above 1.0.
    I have since seen some notes about side effects but I never had any that I know of, and hey in our world everything can have severe side effects

Michael
    Participant

I was diagnosed in June 2016 with intermediate MDS. Trilineage dysplasia with sole cytopenia being neutropenia. At outset I was getting regular Neupogen injections to raise wbc/anc as prescribed by my local hematologist. She wanted my wbc to increase in preparation for Vidazza.

I asked for and received a second opinion from a Center of Excellence. Diagnosis changed to low grade MDS again with trilineage dysplasia and sole cytopenia being neutropenia. All treatment was stopped. It’s been 6 years on watch and wait for me. On a few occasions I have received a Neupogen injection to help with dealing with skin infections. I had a recent skin infection and received a Zarxio injection. My ANC is regularly less than 500 meaning I’m severely neutropenic. I’ve not been febrile and have had only 1 cold in my six years post diagnosis. I do get antibiotics when skin inflections occur.

I have asked “ why not just continue Neupogen/ Zarxio injections”. The response has been that regular use of these treatments could promote AML.

So to answer your question the only way my neutrophils increase is with Neupogen/ Zarxio. It is only administered occasionally when I seek treatment for a skin infection. While my ANC is always low my Center of Excellence hematologist says the neutrophils are getting to my tissues, since I’ve not been “sick”, although they don’t show peripherally in my regular blood draws.

This has been long winded but I hope it’s helpful.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert