MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

immunizations after transplant

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board immunizations after transplant

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Jimbob

My transplant was 23 months ago. The BMT clinic does not do any of the normal childhood immunizations until after at least 180 days. At that time, they turned me over to my reg dr. He held off on them at first becasue I was sick too much – I had pneumonia 3 times – and then because he siad that he thought most of them werre really no longer need even in infants.

I think that I may now be paying for following that advice. I have had a hacking cough that almost chokes me to death followed by a long process of clearing my sinuses and stomach of mucus. Then I feel fine for anywhere from just a few minutes up to a few hours before it begins all over again. The doc did put me on 10 days of amtin-biotics after which things seemed to get better but it is back with a vengence again. It has been going on for over a month since it first started.
    I woman at the grocery store heard me and headed the other way quickly covering her baby as she sais, “Stay back. You sound like you have whooping cough!”
    I called the clinic and my regualr dr again and they do not seem too concerned. What do you think!

Marsha

Jimbob,

I was told that after I am off most of my medications, my transplant Dr will be doing titers to see if my donor gave me any immunity to the childhood ones. He mentioned Hepatitis, Tetanus, MMR, and I think meningitis. But not all sure about that. I know he said not to do the flu because of immunesuppressents. Oh I think Polio was one too. Maybe your regular doctor could at least due some titers to see if you have immunity. I would be afraid that a simple case of any of these diseases I had as a child would be harmful to me. Not sure what other transplant patients have done.

Marsha

CarolineG

Jim:

I think that Marsha is right. You should have the titres done.

If I were you I would get my Family Doctor to refer me to an Immunologist ASAP. If nothing else, he/she will do all of the titres and will let you know what you are suseptible to and which vaccines you need.

I had Bronchitis which turned into Pneumonia 3 times in one fall/winter season. Each time the Bronchitis lasted for about 3 weeks before it changed into Pneumonia. After the third time, my Dr. gave me a Pneumonia Vaccine. The antibiotics were not strong enough. The vaccine helped. That was 4 years ago. The Pneumonia Vaccine is only given every 5 years here in Canada. I don’t know about the US. When I get Bronchitis and Pneumonia I get a dry hacking cough that chokes me up. I can’t even talk without the tickling starting and then the choking follows. After a few days I start to blow and cough up green stuff and have coughing fits alternately. Even Nyquil doesn’t quell my symptoms overnight and that stuff usually lays me out flat. Is it possible that you could be winding up for another bout of Pneumonia?

I don’t like that your Doctor and the BMT Clinic aren’t concerned. I think they should find out exactly what is wrong with you before they say it is nothing to be concerned about. I have lung damage and Asthma because I had 3 bouts of Pneumonia so close together. You already have enough to deal with. I hope that you keep bugging until you get a proper answer.

Rest lots, drink even more. Keep in touch and let us know how you are.

Blessings,
    Caroline

patti

Hi Jim,

I just read about chronic coughs in my Mayo Clinic newsletter today. What they said sounds exactly like what you say you are experiencing. They called it a “chronic cough.” They said that in most cases there are four or five causes for chronic cough (I’m quoting from the newsletter itself). Postnasal drip, asthma, GERD (reflux disease), upper respiratory infection, ACE inhibitors, lung disease. You could try a couple of things to see if it is postnasal drip (the letter says you can have it and not even feel it). You could try taking bromelain. If you do have postnasal drip down your throat it will dry it up nicely. You could see what your doctor would think about a 21 day course of antibiotics (use lots of probiotic!) to see if it’s just an infection that’s tough to kick. I had a sinus infection that was in the upper sinuses (most people don’t get infections that high) and it took a 21 day course of antibiotics to kick it. The first round we did for a week started to help but I just needed more for it to go away completely. The last thing the newsletter says is that most people think of wheezing as an asthma indicator but that a chronic cough with no wheezing can also be an idicator.

So – from the Mayo Clinic, there’s their take on coughs. I’m not sure if you can access the article on their website but you could try. http://www.mayoclinic.com

As for vaccinations – I can’t answer from a transplant standpoint but I can tell you that we do not vaccinate our kids for anything but tetanus. Most diseases they vaccinate for are ones that kids under 2 are likely to get. Beyond that, the only one worthwhile is tetanus (for obvious reasons). We didn’t even do chickenpox. I suppose if our kids haven’t had chickenpox by the time they get married (we keep trying to expose them!) then we’ll get them vaccinated (maybe) so they’ll be protected during their child bearing years.

Hope the cough stuff helps. Take care of yourself.

Patti

Laural

In our area (southwest Ohio), whooping cough has been occurring in adults lately, prompting a booster shot for adults. Typically, it does not get better with antibiotics, so I would tend to agree with Patti that it probably has other causes. But, vaccinations are certainly warranted when your doctor feels your body is ready. We also have a very active viral repiratory illness going around that includes a cough that is non-productive and hangs on for a long time after the illness has passed. Hope you feel better soon.
    Laura

Naomi

I had a friend that had shingles. I mentioned it to my doc and he tested me to see if I still had immunity to chicken pox. Fortunately I was still immune.
    I know that mumps can be caught by older people as well as chicken pox. I also had measles at age 21. These are not just childhood diseases, but are “usually” caught by children. I guess God gives the diseases to the children mainly because they can handle them better than adults.
    This is just my opinion.
    Naomi

Terri

Hi Jimbob, I actually had the same symptoms just a month ago, Bob said to me you sound like you had whooping cough too. I am the caregiver so not as scary for me but it too forever to get rid of. I went the antibiotic route, a pill for the coughing and a cough medicine. Went with Bob to his primary and he gave me a stronger Hyrdrocodone Cough med could only take it at night it put me to sleep but It did the trick, I was also taking the new Mucinex over the counter stuff to try and break up what was in my chest did nothing. I would get out of breath going up stairs thats How bad I was loaded in the chest.
    I hope yours does not last like mine over two weeks. Here it seems to be going around and everyone the same. I am now pumping a lot of Orange juice and supplements to keep myself heaththy. Its hard being the caregiver and sick

Jimbob

It lasted over a month and finally the acupuncturist I had been seeing for foot pain (which she has almosted totally relieved!) insisted that she could treat me and end the cough and congestion without prescription antibiotics or a narcotic cough suppressant. I was concerned about the treatment because coughing with the needles inserted could really hurt. She said that stopping the cough would be the first thing she would do. I could hardly believe it. It actually did work. The coughing was stopped, the heavy build up of mucus flushed out then ended and, with additional herbal remedies, I appear to have gotten rid of the cause as well! I was even able to work in the yard for several hours on Sunday! I have much more respect for Oriental Medicine now.

patti

Jim,

I’m glad you’re feeling better! I was also pretty skeptical of acupuncture but it has helped my MIL’s blood flow better and have less heart pain as a result.

There is something to be said for oriental medicine. smile

Patti

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert