MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

INQOVI

Tagged: 

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Marc Slovak
    Participant

I have been taking INQOVI (decitabine & cedazuridine) since February of 2022. My most pressing issue has been with a low platelet count. After my first month, my platelets doubled (from 38k to 79k). In subsequent months they were lower but still above 50K. Now in October I just had a reading of 81K and hoping this becomes my norm. I’ve had no side effects from taking the drug. I’m classified as Low Risk and have been followed since 2013 but until I started with INQOVI my platelets were on a steady decline. Has anyone else had experiences with this drug – either positive or negative?

Kate Caballero
    Participant

I was diagnosed with MDS in April 2022. Blasts >10%. Inqovi is the first treatment recommended and I just completed my 4th cycle of 6. Platelet levels have wandered between 90K to 231K, with the last result at 146K. I’d been as low as 60K. Hemoglobin has consistently been rising, from 11.7 to 13.1. I have had minimal side effects, with a teeny bit of nausea at the end of one cycle. In addition, my doctor has moved my Inqovi cycle out to 5-week intervals (up from 4-weeks). And moved blood draws from weekly to every-other week, which I believe to be a positive sign. My general health seems to be good, other than weakness and low stamina, which I understand, is part of the deal with MDS. We are planning a BMB after the 6th round is complete.

However, my stem cell transplant has been delayed because I have no 10/10 match – worldwide! That just blows my little mind! How common is it that? They’re now looking for a 9/10 or 8/10 match. But that’s another discussion topic.

I have, so far, had a positive experience with Inqovi. If one must fight this disease, I believe Inqovi is currently the best way. So much better than IV chemo! But each person has a different story, it seems. For me, Inqovi seems to be doing its intended job.

All the very best to ya’ll for comfort, peace and remission!

• This reply was modified 1 year, 6 months ago by Kate Caballero. Reason: Additional info
    Marc Slovak
    Participant

Kate,
    Thanks for the reply. It sounds like the drug is working for you as it is for me. I’m hoping to get my platelets above 100. Moving from 4 to 5 weeks was something I hadn’t heard of. Perhaps when my platelets get higher I might discuss this with my doctor. Like you, my motivation to take INQOVI was to avoid the IV chemo which would have significantly change my lifestyle. I wish you all the best in your journey. Marc

mk thompson
    Participant

New doctor going to start this drug whenever the special pharmacy sends to
    Me. Am scared of side effects since the Aransep caused me to have a stroke. Previous doc didn’t pay attention to my family medical history of strokes. Now I have another issue to be worrying about.

Marc Slovak
    Participant

Of course everyone is different but I have had no side effects at all and the drug has been working for me. Good luck with your treatment!

cerbysam
    Participant

I may have to go on INQOVI some day. From what I have searched it is over $7,000 per treatment. Will your part D drug coverage pay for this? I am selecting an insurer soon and want to make sure I am covered if it is ever needed. Thanks for all of you help.

Marc Slovak
    Participant

Closer to 9K a month. My part D with WellCare covers all but $10,000 per year. There are a number of orgs that make grants to assist with the copay. My specialty pharmacy helped me with this. Most offer such a service

• This reply was modified 1 year, 5 months ago by Marc Slovak.
    cerbysam
    Participant

Thank you Marc. Very helpful.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert