MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Irrated filtered blood for transfusions

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Irrated filtered blood for transfusions

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Collene

Can someone tell me the importance of getting irrated and filtered blood for a transfusion. My husband Wallace has to start chemo today. We found ou yesterday that his MDS has progressed to AML. We are totally devastated. And we had our date for the BMT (April 7th). So Hopefully the chemo will lower the blasts and we can still keep that date. But right now I need to know about this irrated / filtered blood because he is going to have to get transfustions over the next couple of weeks. I want to make sure that he gets what he needs. He recently tested negative for CMV, so I have to make sure the blood is free of that. Thanks much for any help that can be provided.

Neil

Hi Collene,
    I/F blood has leukocytes removed.
    Irradiation reduces the possibility of graft vs host disease & leukocyte filtering decreases the risk of sensitation to proteins present in the transfused blood and reduces the risk of CMV. Patients who have not been exposed to CMV & are candidates for a BMT/SCT should receive blood that is checked &free of CMV.
    I/F blood helps those who are TX dependent from building up antibodies against platelets, transplantation proteins and other antigens.

B. Greene

Be sure you get it. Neil told us at the very beginning and after countless tx so far so good.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert