MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Joint Pain

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Joint Pain

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Allan Romriell
    Participant

I am 65 male diagnosed mds-rs june of 2017 on wait and watch. Last blood work showed Hemoglobin 11.8, RBC slightly low and all other counts in the normal range. My question is some days I hurt all over, seems like all my joints ache expecially hips and lower back. I never see that listed in any of the “official” symptom lists but I have noticed a definite increase in joint pain in the last 10 months or so( it started before I was diagnosed). Just wondering what others are experiencing.
    Thanks,
    Allan

Mairi Cooper
    Participant

Hi Allan –

My dad was diagnosed with MDS 10 years ago (watch and wait) and started Vidaza treatments in the fall of 2012 (age 78). He also had incredible joint pain. (He has always had a high pain tolerance so we were not prepared for this.) We have been told that is unusual. However, his doctor prescribed a low dose of prednisone along with the Vidaza and that has helped immensely. He now occasionally also takes Naproxen Sodium although we were told at the beginning of his treatments that it was not wise with the Vidaza (prednisone was no problem).

Mairi

Allan Romriell
    Participant

Thank you Mairi for the info, I hope your dad doing ok. Its hopeful when I see others who have survived as long as your dad, hope I do as well.

Chris Ballmer
    Participant

Allan:

Joint pain. Here’s my guess. Not a doctor. Just more common sense. We have less, and not as ‘working’ cells and other vital components of blood. You can’t change one thing in the body without affecting everything else. I was surfing this weekend, and when I came back my knee was aching. I didn’t recall doing anything weird to it…but I had an older injury which never really surfaced until yesterday. I imagine our blood does more than just bring food and air to the rest of our bodies, it acts in other ways which are not obvious. Having less of this vital liquid streaming through our bodies, I can see, could cause joint pain in people, not everyone. But if it’s affecting you, then there you go. I’m backing off lots on some of the more ‘dangerous’ sports I’ve usually done, since the risk benefit doesn’t make sense anymore.

Allan Romriell
    Participant

Thanks Chris,
    Makes sense to me too. I have had more joint pain as I have aged, a natural progression and old injuries that had not hurt for years started to ache again but I noticed a marked increase about a year ago before I was diagnosed.
    At the time I just thought it was age catching me but I think it has to do with the MDS. It continues to get a little worse as I go along and just make sense as many of the joints that hurt are associated with the large bones that contain most of the marrow that is effected. I like you are more careful in how I do things so as not to aggravate the situation. Best of luck to you. Thanks again for the input.
    Allan

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert