MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

karyotype del(5)(q14q34) / del(21)(q21q22)

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board karyotype del(5)(q14q34) / del(21)(q21q22)

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    pierre

This is my mother’s karyotype. I’m happy about the 5q part since that seems to qualify her for Revlimid, even though she’s in a higher-risk category than the Revlimid trials last year were meant for. Also, she has an associated deletion on chromosome 21, which means her type is complex–and Revlimid has worked best so far with simple 5q.

Anybody else have this particular combination of aberrations? Or a complex type that includes 5q? What does a complex-5q mean as far as Revlimid is concerned?

I know that 7, for example, is not a particularly desirable one. But I can find next to nothing on 21 on the web.

g-masews

There seem to be certain karyotypes that mean more than others with this disease. Certainly any abnormality of the 7th is a concern. Also a tripling of the 8th(+8). The -5q alone is a far less serious abnormality, also the -20q if that is the only one. Usually, however, the -20q isn’t the only abnormal karyotype. It most often presents with others as well, though not always. Don’t know much about the 21st, but there can be odd ones that don’t mean much. My husband has a tripling of chromosome 3. But he also has +8 and -20. “Complex” abnomalities usually mean 3 or more. Are those the only two your mother has?

Suzanne

I was told that the 5q- meant different things with the different disease classifications. A good sign in RA and RAR and not good in RAEB and RAEB-T or 2. For me, they explained that it escalated my risk factor because it generally meant chemo resistant. Of course that was before Revlimid that seems to work best for people with that chromo change. I was also told that more then one chromo change increased the risk factor. It seems to me that they told me that the missing arm of my 5 Q had gone to another chromosome and that even tho the report looked like more then one change because the added arm was noted someplace -it was only considered one . I may be confused and I am sure one of our whizzes will have a better answer.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert