MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Kevin Trudeau "Natural Cures"

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Kevin Trudeau "Natural Cures"

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Jack_dup1

I have a friend with Hepatitis who asked me about this book and if it is worth buying, thought maybe someone could help me.
    Jack

shirlsgirl

check this out Jack…I think it proly would be a waste of money. (just my opinion of course)

http://hotcupofjoe.blogspot.com/2006/07/review-kevin-trudeaus-natural-cures.html

shirlsgirl

found something else…looks like he’s a con artist and has been convicted of fraud:

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/archive/0826051trudeau1.html

Hi Jack:

I think Trudeau’s book has a lot of useful information. What I suggest your friend do is to check it out from the public library and read it first before she/he decides to buy it. That’s what I have done many times. I check them out and read them, then decide if I want it for my personal copy. I actually just checked out Trudeau’s book just to see what all the hype is about. His introduction is amusing and, from my experience, rings true. However, I’ve only just started so can’t vouch for the rest of it.

As far as that blogspot Shirlsgirl mentioned, that is a “skeptic’s” blogspot. There’s a ring of them specifically aimed at discrediting any alternatives. They think “any” alternative treatment is quackery. Very, very one sided and biased. Not a good source to make a final judgment. They tend to make “emotional” appeals and try to make one feel stupid for trying (or even “thinking”) that any alternative might be healthful. Don’t let that kind of thing turn you off. At the very least, read both sides, and then make up your “own” mind which treatment “you” will choose. You can’t make a wise choice if you never even “look” and “consider” the choices first.

Take care,

Marla

shirlsgirl

I’m not knocking natural medicine or alternative treatment. Simply stating that Kevin Trudeau has been convicted of fraud. He’s a con artist. I think he is preying on those who are desperate and looking for a cure. I think uno grasshopper is (in her own words) making an “emotional appeal and trying to make one feel stupid” for researching an author of such a book. I am positive that there are excellent resources on natural medicine written by reputable people but in my opinion Kevin Trudeau is not one of them.

Shirlsgirl:

What I am suggesting to Jack’s friend is to check out the book for “free” at the library and read it herself or himself. I have seen these “skeptic’s” blogspots. They do not like “any” alternatives and commonly use ad homenim attacks towards those who use alternatives, especially those who are making an impact. I don’t know Kevin Trudeau, and have only just checked out his book. But if you look at the accusations made against him, it has nothing to do with “health” issues. They are attacking his person, as “usual.” Just as they have done to others like Hoxsey, Gerson, Walker, and many, many others. These skeptics are the types that drive so many alternative options across the boarder making it very difficult for people to try and almost unavailable to those interested.

Again, if you check out his book for “free” at the library, then Trudeau won’t make cent off of you.

Take care,

Marla

P.S. The reason why I think Trudeau may be giving some good advice is because “skimming” through his book I see some books he recommends that I personally have read and gleaned helpful information, which has helped me to recover from my aplastic anemia. Now, to steer people away from that potentially helpful information is a dis-service. At least let a person read for themselves and decide. Since you are not knocking alternative, surely checking out a book for free shouldn’t be a problem.

patti

Jack,

I actually bought this book. While his points are very well taken (ie. medical science is not interested in people healing themselves) he doesn’t really offer specific “cures” for anything in particular. At least I don’t remember that he did. It’s been a really long time since I read it. I just remember thinking that I could have gotten most of that information off of the web or any good dietician, etc. I think if your friend has no idea where to start with natural medicine that the book is a good place to start. Kevin Trudeau does what many people should be doing and that is – following the money. If your friend is already familiar with natural treatments then I think the book might not be that big of a help to him. Like I said, I think it’s a good place to start. I honestly can’t remember if the guy tries to sell something – if he does, I’d probably go elsewhere. I guess because I’m a skeptic of people who sell books and then want to sell you their product.

Patti

Jack_dup1

Thank you all, I had no opioion about him or the book, my friend is pretty bad off with Hep. C, not much money and no computer, the library looks like the best way to go.
    Jack

Yes, Patti, Trudeau’s book looks like it’s good for a person who is just starting out with alternative treatments. His book was copyrighted in 2004. I was already transfusion independent in 2001, so I greatly slowed down in search for new alternative stuffs. And I didn’t bother buying Trudeau’s book.

But for anyone interested, it looks like his book is a compilation of various alternative treatments referencing their sources. As an example he’ll give a list of things then reference sources that deal with those–i.e. aspartame and MSG, he suggests reading Aspartame (NutraSweet) Is It Safe? by H.J. Roberts, M.D. and Excitotoxins–The Taste that Kills by Russell Blaylock, M.D. (which I think is an excellent book, BTW), and In Bad Taste: The MSG Complex by George Schwartz, M.D. (another good book I read). Regarding juicing, I noticed he mentions Paavo Airola. He actually mentions a lot of books that I have read that really helped me to understand how the medical system works and how the human body works.

He also lists many websites to help you find healthcare practitioners who don’t use drugs or surgery. There are several sites he’s listed that I’ve looked into myself in the past. He has a list of ailments for which he suggests what types of treatment might help those such as if you might like to try a chiropractor for that or if a certain type of treatment is commonly known to help that condition. As an example he lists chronic fatigue for which he recommends looking into ginseng, chelation, or homeopathy.

A lot of the book is documentation by Trudeau of how money is behind so much of our medical and health ills. He cites many articles, and he tries to show that much of the literature we read regarding health care is all about money. I’ll quote a random part of it for you to give you an idea of what his book is like:

Natural Cures “They Don’t Want You to Know About, Page 226

“Many “newsletters” or books promote certain supplements. Most people do not know that the owners of these newslettters or books are the same people that actually sell the supplements. This is misleading and fraudulent, but very profitable for the big corporations. Magazines and newspapers commonly run positive aricles on products if those companies commit to large advertising contracts. This is fraud, and it happens virtually all the time. What it means is you can’t believe anything you read in magazines and newspapers, because you don’t know if the article is really a payoff for the large amounts of advertising the publisher receives.”

As far as selling anything, it looks like Trudeau is selling information. I don’t see any health products by him and his website only has books and articles which may be purchased. You can check out his website at http://www.naturalcures.com It appears he also has a blog where you can put in your own comments to his posts. The address is http://www.thewhistleblower.com

His book has 572 pages. It appears to be a book geared towards educating the public on how the system works in relation to our health and healthcare with some added help in how to find alternative sources and practitioners. It appears to be a sort of encyclopedia for a resource in alternative care.

Hope this helps and clears up what Trudeau’s book is about.

Marla

cthomas555

Another insightful article:

Wall Street Journal – August 7, 2006

No ‘Alternative’ By JEROME GROOPMAN

http://henwood.blogspace.com/?p=3315

Chris

Neil

Hi Jack,
    I have the book.
    Lots of very good info in it BUT—
    It is all but impossible to do all of the things he recommends. His list of items we should not eat is endless and his list of what we should do is totally impractical at least from my perspective.
    Am convinced Trudeau is the only person to benefit from this book. Sales must be great if he can afford TV infomercials

Neil:

Point well taken, and since I did recover before Trudeau’s book ever came out, I don’t think it’s something that everyone “must” run out and get. I found a lot of the info he writes about myself from various places. However, some people have no clue where to begin, so for people like that, Trudeau’s book may be helpful. You’d be surprised that some people don’t even know what “juicing” is. For someone like that, they’d have no clue where to begin or what is commonly juiced. I think that’s the kind of people who could use Trudeau’s book, although the money trail he documents is interesting to me.

Chris:

If you look hard enough, you’ll find good and bad articles for just about everything. For as many articles that say something is worthless, you’ll likely find just as many articles to say the opposite. And this is exactly the kind of thing Trudeau is pointing out. Follow the money trail, who funded the study, etc. I do have one thing I’d like to point out that I think was misleading in the article you referenced. I’ll quote the part below:

“The widespread misconception among the public is that what is
    “natural” is necessarily salubrious and safe, while in fact, the
    natural world is filled with poisons and toxins. Some of those
    natural poisons, of course, can be used therapeutically: Two of the
    most important chemotherapy drugs, vincristine and taxol, are
    derived, respectively, from the periwinkle plant and the Pacific yew
    tree.”

That paragraph capitalizes on the general misunderstanding of how the word “natural” is used among natural health advocates. Anything that is made has come from nature at one point or anther, even gasoline and plastic. But we don’t consider those substances “natural” because they have been highly purified. Chemotherapeutic drugs are all highly processed and purified, just like gasoline and plastics are. Chemotherapy is “not” a natural substance. When refering to health issues and healthful foods, etc. “natural” refers to something that is in the form that is naturally occuring in nature. For instance a whole carrot “naturally” grows from a seed without laboratory intervention. So if you compare that to the production of chemotherapy, there is no seed for which chemotheraphy would naturally grow. I can’t go out in my backyard and harvest chemotherapy. Sure the plant may be natural, but the plants have to be processed so that they “separate” certain ingredients, then concentrate those ingredients to a point that a small vial might contain the active ingredient the equvalent to that of a truck load of plant matter. Gun powder is made from cellulose, which is technically natural, but we wouldn’t eat it. Uranium is natural, too, but I wouldn’t eat that either. People who understand this would not confuse chemotherapeutic agents as natural as the author of that article did.

This is why I think it is so important for people to read as much as they can to get an understanding of both sides. I don’t know enough about Trudeau to back him up or anything, only that from the books he has recommended, I think he has some things right. Certainly I can’t do every single health program either, but at least you can pick and choose which ones would fit your lifestyle. Part of the beauty of having so many options is that you can pick and choose. If it’s not for you, that’s fine, too. I haven’t done all of it either, but enough to have allowed me to recovered to a point that it’s been over 5 1/2 years since my last blood transfusion. For me it has been practical.

Good luck to you all,

Marla

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert