MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Leukemic Episode

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Leukemic Episode

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    CarolineG

Can anyone help? I just got a call from the hospital saying that Dad is possibly having a Leukemic Episode. What is that???? His Hgb has dropped from 97 to 84 since yesterday. A transfusion will be done when it reaches 80. He is shaky, has swollen and sore arms and hands and has a new rash all over him. Does that mean that CMML is possibly transitioning to AML? And if so will they do Chemotherapy on a 79 year old CMML patient with Renal Failure.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Caroline

Jimbob

Caroline,
    I just hapened to pop in. I had what they called a leukemic event when my CMML suddenly went ballistic and transitoned to AML. For me, it was actually a good thing because they could not treat my type of CMML but AML was knocked out with chemo and then I had a BMT. The hospital I was at (Oregon Health Science and University Hospital) has done BMT on patients in late 70’s but they and many other hospital will not if there are other major medical problems.
    Still praying for your dad and family.
    Jim

CarolineG

Thanks Jim.

When someone with a Chronic form of Leukemia has a Leukemic Episode, does it always transition into an Acute form? OR can it remain in the Chronic form after the Leukemic Episode is over?

Dad already has Renal Failure and I think that any kind of Chemo would be out of the question but I am jumping the gun here. I don’t know yet. I should probably just stick with finding out what the term Leukemic Episode means. I find if I already know what to expect when the doctor informs me of any changes, I seem to be able to hold it together better. Lately, I have not coped with surprises very well. There are alot of people depending on me for their emotional support so I try not to fall apart in front of them.

Thanks again,
    Caroline

Thanks again,
    Caroline

Jimbob

Caroline,
    I do not know. In my case, the WBC count was 21k but we brought it down to 14 for almost 2 months before it suddenly shot up to 385k. That was definitely a major event. About the only thing we do know is that MDS is different in diferent people even if there are some therapies that provide a similar result in many. Wish I could be more helpful in your time of need.

karenkay

Caroline,
    I wish I had any good info for you, but I surely don’t. I’m sure sorry your dad is going through so much!!
    I will continue to pray for your dad and especially for you. I can relate to the need to be stoic at times, but I also know a good cry when you can let yourself does pretty good, too. I hope you are taking care of yourself and not just everyone else.
    My heart truly goes out to you.
    God bless,
    karenk

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert