MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Life expectancy after all treatments are stopped. Diagnosed in 2018

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Life expectancy after all treatments are stopped. Diagnosed in 2018

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Jackie Merson
    Participant

My husband has stopped all treatments and is in hospice care at home now. he is 84 years old other than the MDS. He’s in very good health. He’s very alert still sits up and eats and drinks. He is sleeping more and shortness of breath has worsened. The doctor had given him three days to two weeks now we are on week four. Since he’s not getting any more transfusions, what is his chances of getting leukemia and what can we expect as far as life expectancy?

Ashley Moncrief

Hi Jackie,

Thanks for writing in! As far as the progression to leukemia, the current thought is that about 30% of those with MDS will transition to acute myeloid leukemia. Since he is in hospice care and is no longer having tests like bone marrow biopsies, you likely will not be able to tell if he has progressed. The risk of progression and life expectancy really depends on several things such as the sub-type of MDS your husband has, his risk score, and current lab values as well as the lab values when he stopped treatment.

What I can tell you is that no matter the number the physician gives you, it is an educated estimate. No one can guarantee any set amount of time. I think that is one of the hardest parts with hospice care. You know what the ending will look like, but no one can tell you exactly how long it will take to get there. What I would recommend is to talk to the hospice team for some input as they see him on a routine basis and may have better insight.

I’m so sorry you are going through this right now. Our thoughts are with you and your family.

Ashley

Robert Sepe
    Participant

Jackie, my well wishesn for your husband …. read my post under “Questions for Doctors” as it may provide useful information which you can act on now, but quickly.

Janet
    Participant

Jackie: prayers for you and your husband. I know at some point in time, when treatments are no longer effective, we will make these decisions. I am not certain even DRs know the answer to your question. Peace to both of you.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert