MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Liver and MDS

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Liver and MDS

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    GL

Dear all,

Does anyone know if an increase in liver function tests (GGT, Alkaline Phosphatase, ALT/SGPT)is related to or caused by MDS?

Many thanks,
    G

Terri

Not sure but I think some of the chemo treatments can effect it. Bob gets a BMP at the start of each round of the Vidaza to check kidneys and liver. So far his counts are ok

seekay

Liver function is highly interrelated with MDS and to many other chronic diseases (including all other cancers).

The liver is the single most important organ for getting rid of waste/toxins. The other three avenues for detoxifying are the kidneys (urine), skin (perspiration), and lungs (mucous secretions). From what I have read, when the liver is compromised in some way, this can lead to toxic build-up in the body that changes the biochemistry of the body such that immune sytem does not function optimally and cancer cells/mutant DNA begin to proliferate.

Symptoms of recurring respiratory secretions or night sweats are possible indication that the liver is obstructed, and that the body is turning to these secondary means for getting rid of waste.

Thus, I believe that helping the liver–

by decreasing toxic load;

by increasing in large/clinical amounts the phytochemicals the body/liver needs to break down and dispose of waste; and

by aiding the detoxification process (through herbs such as Essiac/burdock root/dandelion, coffee enemas, ingestion of highest quality liver products to create a para-enteral environment that can take some of the load off the liver by breaking down toxins in the blood stream)

–goes a long way toward overcoming MDS.

This is not the perspective upon which conventional chemotherapy/radiation/drug treatment operates. Conventional treatment aims to eradicate the mature cancer cells, without much concern for the effect these toxic methods have on the liver and other organs/tissues in the body.

The whole-body approach treatment (for lack of a better term) aims to change the conditions in the body that gave rise to the disease in the first place through long term “treatment” that includes as primary components: 1) detoxification and 2) correct nutrition and supplements based on the individual’s needs. This approach sees all “symptoms” as part of one whole. Thus, the liver, secondary conditions, recurring night sweats, etc. are all related to the MDS, and vice-versa.

Sincerely,

seekay

GL

Dear Seekay,

Many thanks! Just to clarify – I was not sure if you are suggesting that eating liver is good. Or do you mean something else?

Thank you!
    G

seekay

Yes, I believe it is, but the source must be pure. The Gerson therapy calls for liver to be administered in some form. It used to be injected, but that practice was discontinued in the mid 80s because despite extreme caution, they could not reliably find pure, uncontaminated liver.

These days, I believe they use some sort of liver product (dried perhaps?) that is drinkable. I don’t know the details.

You can read the rationale for this in Max Gerson’s book A Cancer Therapy.

Also, btw, the Gerson Institute is hosting a two and a half day Gerson Therapy Caregiver Training June 16,17, 18 in San Diego. Staff there, including Charlotte, will teach people the therapy. It is described as “[a] 2 1/2 day workshop dedicated to providing a thorough understanding of the application of this natural, effective treatment to individuals wishing to be a companion to a Gerson patient. It includes:

Hands-on juicing experience
    Food preparation b a Gerson expert
    How to administer a coffee enema
    Safe injection techniques
    Suggestions and practical guidance from staff and recovered patients.”

Cost is $500 to the General Public, $400 for Members, Seniors, and Students with ID. Registration includes: A Cancer Therapy, Gerson Therapy Handbook, The Gerson Therapy and Dr Max Biography–all provided free of charge with registration.

Call 619-685-5353 for more info.

I’m planning on going (they do this training once or twice a year, it seems).

Seekay

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert