MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Low everything

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Low everything

Tagged: 

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Clement Rose
    Participant

I first posted 3 years ago. I am now 85. I have low RBC at 4.14, very low WBC at 1.1 and low platelets at 18. For my age, aren’t those numbers too low for chemo? Is there anything out there to increase their numbers? My RBC holds rather steady, but the platelets and WBC have been steadily decreasing to these new lows. Four years ago when I was first diagnosed with MDS, the oncologist wanted to put me on chemo immediately, without further discussion. I refused and tried the supplement route and apparently that failed. I am otherwise healthy, happy and in good spirits, despite this disease. We have a cancer center in our local hospital complex, but would an appointment at Mayo’s in Rouchester be better?

Judith Barnes
    Participant

I’m a newbie, but I suspect that choosing a center of excellence would be a best bet.

Now you’ve got me wondering if I was too hasty in choosing chemo immediately.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert