MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

LOW platelets

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board LOW platelets

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    sdrake

Dad has gone through 6 radiation treatments to reduce the size of his spleen. His platelet count this morning was down to 5! He just had a platelet transfusion on Friday. I understand that the radiation will probably knock the platelets out for a while, but this low scares me. Any thing anyone can tell me is greatly appreciated.

Shari

poppyshope

My dad ran anywhere from 1500-3000 after his inductive chemo and never had blood in his urine or stool- watch for that as that can be a sign for internal bleeding. He never got over 8000 and we had a manual count because we were getting platelets every other day and did not want to become refractory if there was no need to transfuse, we did not. It was scary because the risk for spontaneous bleed anywhere espcially the brain. He tolerated low platelets well everyone is different. Weigh the options because you do not want to become refractory to your transfusions because there is nothing out yet to boost platelet growth. Make sure they are crossmatched and irradiated to ward off refratory outcome. And I remember my dad going through platelets a lot at times of stress to his body ie:chemo and vidaza. Hope the counts settle in for you – keeping you and dad in my prayers-Jen

poppyshope

My dad ran anywhere from 1500-3000 after his inductive chemo and never had blood in his urine or stool- watch for that as that can be a sign for internal bleeding. He never got over 8000 and we had a manual count because we were getting platelets every other day and did not want to become refractory if there was no need to transfuse, we did not. It was scary because the risk for spontaneous bleed anywhere espcially the brain. He tolerated low platelets well everyone is different. Weigh the options because you do not want to become refractory to your transfusions because there is nothing out yet to boost platelet growth. Make sure they are crossmatched and irradiated to ward off refratory outcome. And I remember my dad going through platelets a lot at times of stress to his body ie:chemo and vidaza. Hope the counts settle in for you – keeping you and dad in my prayers-Jen

sdrake

Jen,

Thanks so much for your prayers. I appreciate the information – it helps calm the fears a bit. They are keeping a close watch on Dad. He is getting platelets again today. Hopefully after the effects of the radiation settle down, his platelets will get better.

He has been feeling so much better. The radiation has shrunk his spleen considerably, and his wbc is much much better. It always seems like when something improves, we get hit with something else to worry about!

Thanks again, and my best to you,
    Shari

Warren Rich

At the suggestion of Dr. Raza who specializes in MDS I have been drinking the fresh pineapple juice 12 oz/ day 6oz am, 6oz pm. It raises my plateletts from 70-80 to 110-128. I use a Green Star juicer and strain the product not using any screens in the juicer.

Neil

Hi Shari,
    Not sure my comments will apply to your dad, but they will sure validate that we are all different. My platelet count hovered around 10,000 for about 7-8 years with no symptoms.
    On 11/6/07 I had surgery for head and neck cancer. Had 3 six packs that day. Have been on radiation and cetuximab since 12/11. My weekly counts since 11/12 are: 22000, 11000, 10000,40,000, 24000, 21000, 51000, 18000, 55000.
    The 22000 on 11/12 can be explained by the 3 tx. But the 40000 reading took place the day before the radiation and cetuximab started. Am going in tomorrow for another CBC and cetuximab. HAve a number of curious onlookers wondering what they will be.
    Had a few nosebleeds just before a CBC and there are those who feel the counts went up in response for a demand for more platelets.
    At the same time my WBC has jumped around. Am usually at 1.1 and have gone as high as 2.5 and 2.7
    No changes in my reds.
    None of my docs are offering any opinions. All are wondering what will occur after 2/6 when radiation and cetuximab are over.

Suzanne

Neil, I was glad to see your name with a comment. I was just wondering yesterday how you were doing and was geting close to sending a personal message out to you to check on you.

Neil

Hi Suzanne,
    It has been difficult.
    Mouth and throat are very sore and difficult to eat. Skin at the radiation sites is still intact, but very close to cracking.
    Have 6 more radiation sessions and 1 cetuximab left. Then recovery. Can expect about a week of going downhill before healing begins.
    At least I was able to aviod a feeding tube. Am 1 pound over my starting weight.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert