MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Low Risk on Vidaza Planning Long Vacation

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Low Risk on Vidaza Planning Long Vacation

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Bill Corbin
    Participant

I am a low risk MDS patient with three genetic mutations, TET2, SRSF2, and SMC 3. Initially all three blood cell lines were low. Have been on Vidaza treatment cycles of 28 days; 7 days of injections on the first 7 business days of each cycle. Began treatment December 6, 2021. Vidaza treatments have resulted in all three blood cell linages to be either low end of normal or RBC’s just below normal. Only ill effects for me so far are lack of energy/tiredness that does not keep me from playing 18 holes of golf two times per week.

Just had appointment with my Oncologist yesterday, but failed to ask about extended vacation that would miss one cycle. Has anyone skipped a complete cycle of Vidaza with no ill effects? We would like to take a 32 day cruise in Sept-Oct 2024 starting in Athens, Greece and ending in Fort Lauderdale, FL. I will ask my oncologist team for their input when I next see them January 8, 2024, but just wondered if anyone had been gone from treatment for such an extended period of time.

Kathie Wolf
    Participant

My husband went thru a round of chemo for one year with Vidaza. It was given one week each month. He also has low risk MDS with one mutation, AXL. All his three blood lineages were low at the start. By the end of the year, they were all normal and have stayed that way for four years with no further treatment. During his chemo treatment, we did discuss with his oncologist the option of delaying a month for a vacation and she said it would be fine. Good luck and enjoy Greece!

Ashley Moncrief

Hi Bill,

Thanks so much for writing in! The decision to delay treatment will depend on how you are responding to therapy. It’s a risk versus benefit conversation to be had with your doctor. If it’s a 32-day trip, you might be able to delay a cycle rather than skip it entirely. I will say that treatment is meant to give you increased quantity of life, but quality is very important. You have to continue to do what you love!

Ashley

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert