MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

low white blood cells

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board low white blood cells

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Mark Simpson
    Participant

My white blood cells dropped from 1.4 to 0.8. No infection. Have not taken treatment yet. Other issues going on. What does this mean?

Mary Melton
    Participant

Mark did you get any response to this. My white blood cells have dropped from 1.4 to 0.8 as well. I have gone through 6 months of Vidaza but it did not improve my MDS, however, it kept me from getting worse. I started another type of chemotherapy by the name of Dagogen last month. I start the 2nd round on Monday. The dr says hopefully we will know if it is going to work after the 4th or 55 round. My platelets have mostly been above normal, however my red blood cells have dropped below 8 3 times and I have had to have 2 pints of blood each time. My main concern is the low white blood cells because they can’t do a transfusion for those, only the chemotherapy. I was hoping someone had experienced this and could enlighten me as to what to expect.

Mark Simpson
    Participant

Mary, I have not done any treatments yet. Had 5 surgeries last year. Colon removed, hernia surgery and other surgeries. Now i am on a wait and see. They do not want to use vidaza, too weak. Hope this helps.

Michael
    Participant

My wbc is the sole cytopenia for me. It’s been as low as 1 and as high as 3 but mostly comes in around 1.5. ANC is nearly always below 500 but has at points been around 800. I get blood work monthly.
    It will be 2yrs of watch and wait in June. No infections of significance but I do get skin infections/boils on my inner thighs. I walk about 5miles each day and assume that the friction is the cause of boils. I am careful to keep area clean and when the boils burst use antibacterial ointment. More of a nuisance than anything. I feel very fortunate. Awaiting the results of latest (4th) bmb.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert