MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Lucy

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    patti

Lucy,

Can you tell me how your family went about doing direct platelet donations? Do we have to call the Red Cross directly and does it cost anything? Do you have any idea how I go about setting this up? If the doctor does agree to a catheter (we were denied one 9 months ago because of platelet/white cell issues) she is going to have to have platelets first. I’d like to make sure they come from family if at all possible. Thanks for the help.

patti

lucym

Patti,
    Find out from your MIL doctor where they get their blood products from (hopefully it is the same place as the hospital where she will have the port procedure)My Mom’s doctor/hospital gets them from the NY Blood Center,we contacted the blood center directly and found out the information. Hope this helps.
    All the best
    Lucy

Hope you don’t mind me jumping in here a bit. But wanted to share that when I had directed donor blood, it was not all from my family. Both my parents and one sister could not donate blood (they didn’t meet the acceptible requirements to donate), and my one other sister could donate red cells that I could use, but not platelets. I tried her platelets, and they did nothing for me. Zip. So most of my directed donor blood came from friends. Basically, they have to know it advance that you need someone to donate “regularly.” Find as many people as possible to see if their blood works well with you. It’s good to find as many as possible so the burden isn’t only on one person. I had 6 regular plt donors, so since I used them once a week, they could rotate and donate about once a month. Don’t have all your donors go it together. Stagger them out since blood has a shelf-life. More donors helps so that they have someone to cover in case one is sick and can’t donate (they won’t allow you to if you have a temperature). If someone wants to go on vacation, there are others to cover in their absense, etc. Keep in mind that they only allow red cell donations every 2 months, so gauge how often you need reds and how many units to figure out how many people need to donate each month.

Hope this helps.

Marla

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert