MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

MDS

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Divya Dwarakanath
    Participant

Hi
    Few days back my father (age: 69) complained that he is experiencing shortness of breath and chest pain. After diagnosis, we came to know that,platelet count is very low and he is suffering from MDS ,Vitamin B12 deficiency. So he took injections for B12 vitamin.there were some blood transfusions (RDP,SDP,PRBC) as a remedy for low platelet count. But platelet count is not increasing. So,Doctor has suggested to use eltrombopag 50mg medicine. But when googled it, I came to know that this medicine is not used in treatment for MDS. But not sure why our doctor suggested it. Can you please let me know whether it is safe to use this medicine? And also kindly let me know the risk of this disease. Some are saying this is of high risk and some are saying ,this disease of low risk. So please let me the risks involved with this disease. As of now my father platelet count is 20K with giant platelets.

lynne
    Participant

The only person who can tell you if it is high risk of low risk MDS would be the doctor who made the diagnosis. This information is normally provided to the doctor through the results of a bone marrow biopsy.

Sherry Pratt
    Participant

I agree with Lynne. Need a bone marrow biopsy to determine exactly what type of MDS he has. There are several types of MDS and they all can be treated differently and with different medications. In my experience with MDS, if you get a push back from a doctor or hedging about what to do next, go for second opinion.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert