MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

MDS and Agent Orange

Home forums Patient Message Board MDS and Agent Orange

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Mark Rogers Mark 1 week, 5 days ago.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author

Mark Rogers Mark
    Participant

I am a new subscriber to this forum and glad I found it. I am a Vietnam Veteran and have MDS.. My Hematocrit is now 29 and Hemoglobin is 10.5 so I’m not too serious yet but the values drop every month. I am aware that the VA does NOT recognize MDS as a possible/likely result of Agent Orange or really any other toxin from those years but I am pursuing a claim with the VA to attempt to get them to own up to this…

I urge anyone who has MDS and is a Nam Vet to do the same… I am already 100% in VA benefits so it won’t help me but will help others later…

rar
    Participant

See Citation Nr: 0812788

ORDER

Service connection for myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS)
    [refractory anemia with excess of blasts, trisomy VIII] or
    acute myelogenous leukemia (AML), claimed to be as a result
    of dioxin or benzene exposure in service, is granted.

The main culprit in agent orange is the benzene used to thin it for spraying. This order seems to grant disability for benzene and thus agent orange. I was denied disability even though two cancer doctors said that benzene was as likely as not the cause of my mds. The denial was on technical grounds. My VSO sent the appeal to the administrative judge appeal. He thinks I have a strong case. I don’t think I will be alive in the 3 to 7 years such an appeal takes.

Ray

Mark Rogers Mark
    Participant

Ray,
    Thanks for the reply and input. I’m glad for all that you have taken up the fight. As soon as I get a testimonial letter from my hematologist I’ll push the claim forward, but, like you, I will likely not live long enough to see them adjudicate this to a postive outcome. I see my Doc tomorrow and hopefully he’ll have the letter ready. He as told me that he has several Vietnam Veterans as patients all with various forms of MDS.

God Bless

Mark

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert