MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

MDS and Agent Orange

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board MDS and Agent Orange

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    Mark Rogers Mark
    Participant

I am a new subscriber to this forum and glad I found it. I am a Vietnam Veteran and have MDS.. My Hematocrit is now 29 and Hemoglobin is 10.5 so I’m not too serious yet but the values drop every month. I am aware that the VA does NOT recognize MDS as a possible/likely result of Agent Orange or really any other toxin from those years but I am pursuing a claim with the VA to attempt to get them to own up to this…

I urge anyone who has MDS and is a Nam Vet to do the same… I am already 100% in VA benefits so it won’t help me but will help others later…

rar
    Participant

See Citation Nr: 0812788

ORDER

Service connection for myelodysplastic syndrome (MDS)
    [refractory anemia with excess of blasts, trisomy VIII] or
    acute myelogenous leukemia (AML), claimed to be as a result
    of dioxin or benzene exposure in service, is granted.

The main culprit in agent orange is the benzene used to thin it for spraying. This order seems to grant disability for benzene and thus agent orange. I was denied disability even though two cancer doctors said that benzene was as likely as not the cause of my mds. The denial was on technical grounds. My VSO sent the appeal to the administrative judge appeal. He thinks I have a strong case. I don’t think I will be alive in the 3 to 7 years such an appeal takes.

Ray

Mark Rogers Mark
    Participant

Ray,
    Thanks for the reply and input. I’m glad for all that you have taken up the fight. As soon as I get a testimonial letter from my hematologist I’ll push the claim forward, but, like you, I will likely not live long enough to see them adjudicate this to a postive outcome. I see my Doc tomorrow and hopefully he’ll have the letter ready. He as told me that he has several Vietnam Veterans as patients all with various forms of MDS.

God Bless

Mark

Mark Rogers Mark
    Participant

Meredith:
    I’m sad for your husband but I have a similar blood profile myself. My WBC’s are labeled as ‘critical’ by the lab and Red cells are dropping too. Almost all the cells are abnormal. I am filing a claim with the VA when I can get well enough to go to the local VSO. I thank you for that stat you posted about the incidence of MDS in Vets as opposed to the gen pop. As you likely know there are several MDS Foundation centers around the US and hopefully they are trying new stuff to help. I live too far from one but will be seeing a Onclology/Hematology Dr in Sacramento in Nov. To answer your question: No I don’t think there’s any way to push the VA to take responsibility for this except to keep adding claims to the pile, which is what and why I’m doing it. God Bless you and your husband and I pray for us all…About all I know to do

Mark R.

rar
    Participant

Hi Meredith,

I am interested in the 779/100,000 number. In the population in general MDS afflicts about 12,000 or a little over 3 per 100,000 as you stated. In the year 2016 there were about 500 transplants in the US or about 5%. These numbers are pretty consistent. There are 9.2 million Vietnam veterans. At 779/100,000 that amounts to 72,000 veterans with MDS. You would expect a fair number of these to go to a VA hospital for treatment. There are two VA hospitals doing SCT and in 2016 they did no MDS transplants. Where are all these veterans being treated? I am a veteran. I asked about the VA doing a transplant and was told that there is a waiting list so long that I would die before my number came up. I called the VA hospital and was told there was no list and they did few transplants. I had my transplant paid by medicare.

Ray

Mark Rogers Mark
    Participant

Ray,
    Thanks for posting. The problem is that the VA does not yet take responsibility for MDS in Vietnam Veterans..It’s just like everything else…we need to keep pounding them with number of us with this condition I am filing a claim but likely will not live to see the success we achieve. As far as SCT goes I am considered too old to be eligible for this treatment anyway. I think the age for which any medical facility will consider SCT is 65, or so I’ve heard…

I’m not at all surprised that the VA hospitals will not treat MDS since it was ‘not their fault’ to start with, which, of cours is total BS…It’s an up hill fight

Mark

rar
    Participant

Hi Mark,

I had my transplant at age 74. It is not unusual. I am 100% covered for any medical condition and drugs. Conditions do not need to be service connected. It doesn’t matter who’s is at fault. My drugs are about $13,000 per month.

Ray

Mark Rogers Mark
    Participant

Ray,
    Interesting…not what I had read about SCT/age limits… Was it a scary and or risky procedure ? I have an appt with UC Davis Oncology in November and will ask about this..

rar
    Participant

Mark,

Scary – no. Risky yes. 3 year survival rate for SCT is about 50%. 3 year survival for very high risk MDS is 4%. So far I have survived over 4 years. I went with the better odds. You have to be healthy enough to survive the rigors of SCT.

Ray

Mark Rogers Mark
    Participant

Thanks Ray
    I looked it up on Mayo Clinic and it told me a lot…survival rate would be about the same for me as if I didn’t have it…Side effects don’t look like fun either…Add to that, I’m not healthy enough to withstand it… I wish you well, my friend

rar
    Participant

Hi Meredith,

This morning I listened to a webinar on MDS and Agent Orange presented by Dr. Steenams, a leading expert. He said the the incidence of MDS among veterans and non veterans has no hard numbers but in his experience they are about the same. I am still curious where you found the 778 vs 3 number?

Ray

Mark Rogers Mark
    Participant

I filed my claim with the VA on Tuesday thru the local VSO..I know it will be a long, uphill ordeal and I likely won’t live to see the day the VA accepts responsibility, but at least when they do my wife will begin to get 50% of my benefits since I’m 100% but only for 3-4 years.. With all the people who have this from VN service and the incidence numbers its really sad and frustrating to have them in such denial.

Mark Rogers Mark
    Participant

Just had another CBC drawn and my Hct is down to 27.7 from 31 last May and it’s been pretty steady until now.. Not sure when Doc will start Epogen but I’d like to know from others when they started… I also read that it can cause tumor growth…all we need is more cancer :(. Please chime in with your stories on Epogen or Procrit. I did read that success is limited and only works for a while on a different thread here.

Terry McDowell
    Participant

My husband is a Vietnam vet with MDS. He was stationed at Camp Lejeune and the VA has admitted that the water supply was contaminated with benzene which is a prime factor in MDS. His cousin’s husband also had MDS from Camp Lejeune. He has applied for benefits but the process is disheartening. It makes me very angry with it all. They caused the illness to someone who served the country and thus should take responsibility for it and make the process easier. Sorry to all of you for these consequences in serving.

Mary
    Participant

Agree my husband had CLL 10 years ago I also believe was from agent orange he was EOD in Navy and in Vietnam. Tried submitting for vet benefits but denied. He was in remission for 8 years now he is suffering from MDS due to the chemo from CLL. One person told him he had to finally go to his congressman to get help. Truly a shame our servicemen/women not being taken care of.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert