MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

MDS High Risk

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board MDS High Risk

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Kathleen Till
    Participant

I was diagnosed with the above on 2nd April and getting my third chemo next Monday.

Preparing for a Bone Marrow transplant – anyone else had this or going through this.

I have the trisomy 8 chromosome.

Thanks

Kathy

Kevin Dugan
    Participant

NO I have not, but will be thinking of you and praying all goes well. Best wishes, Kevin

Tom Nelson
    Participant

4 year MDS del5q patient. Started with Revlimed, then switched to bi weekly Aranesp. HGB went from 10+ to now 8.2 maintenance with the help of weekly Granix. February BMB showed still del5q, but now also 8+ or 3 legged Chromosome 8, additional variant.. Assume this is what is meant by Trisomy 8. lifestyle the same as before, Work in spurts and naps. Doc thinks the 8+ is/has caused the Hgb drop. Trisomy 8 seems to be a newer variant.

Kathleen Till
    Participant

Thank you. I thought HGB levels should be higher. Mine are 10 and it says low.

Kathy

Belinda
    Participant

Hbg “normal” is minimum 12.2. Some labs have “normal” at 11.4. It just depends on the lab processing your blood test. So yes 10 is low, no matter what.

Sue
    Participant

Hi!

In 2000 I was diagnosed with a Myeloproliferative Neoplasm called Essential Thrombocythemia, basically my platelets over proliferated. I knew their might come a day where my bone marrow would fail but I lasted longer than anyone expected. I was on Hydroxyurea for 13 years until my platelets stabilized. For five years I was treatment free until 2018. A routine blood test showed blasts. I was diagnosed with Low Risk MDS, watch and wait.

In Jan 2020, I sought a second opinion. A repeat marrow biopsy showed progression of disease with 10% blasts, ALIP 10%, del 5q, 44XX, -3, t(3:21), dr21 and NGS showing JAK V617F (41% VAF) and two TP53 mutations.

I was started on Vidaza and Venclexta and continued treatment for six months. On August 1, 2020, I entered the hospital and on August 6th, 2020 I had a transplant. I am now just a bit over one year post transplant with no sign of disease and zero genetic mutations.

John Bradley
    Participant

Congratulations, that is great news.

Sue
    Participant

Thanks, John!
    I did really well for a year but as they weaned me off of the immunosuppressant meds, I got graft vs host disease so I am battling that right now.

Sue
    Participant

Hope you are doing well, Kathy.
    Let us know, only if you are up to it.
    Sue

Kathleen Till
    Participant

Sue,
    Had no idea you had gone through all of this for many years.

Somehow I do not get notified when posts come up. My daughter told me you had been on.

Sent email today.

Hope you are keeping well.

Kathy

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert