MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Mds rash and transplant option at 74

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Mds rash and transplant option at 74

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Janice Aucoin
    Participant

My mom was diagnosed in 2019 with intermediate mds. In December we discovered it was very high risk. They want to start her on Vidaza and hormonal injections. Her prognosis is not very good however she feels great despite her hemo 78. Wbc 2.8. Plat 42.
    She just developed a rash all over her chest and stomach. I’m wondering if anyone has ever had this happened. They prescribed her prednisone !
    Also we were never told that a transplant was even an option. I researched it and brought it up and was told the risk out weight the benefits at her age of 74. I see many people over the age of 70 online who have had the surgery and drs who now say they treat many patients over 70 unlike years ago. So my second question is what are your throughts on the transplant or experience at this age. We’re in canada and I’m not sure if the procedure is different and simpler in US ! I’ve contacted the Moffit canter in Tampa and awaiting response. Any advice would be appreciated. Thank you 🙏

ardejay1
    Participant

Allogenic stem cell transplants are available everywhere in Canada, I believe. However, you may have to be assessed and treated at a major centre. Your local doctors should be able to refer you.
    The procedure is risky, especially as you get older.

lisab
    Participant

Hi Janice
    I’m a Canadian MDS patient. I am on lenalidimid for a different form of MDS. I break out in a rash for about a week between cycles of the drug. I use gold bond eczema lotion on it and it gives some relief to the itching and makes the rash go away. You may want to give it a try.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert