MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

MDS single lineage dysplasia (Platlets)

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board MDS single lineage dysplasia (Platlets)

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    ask4angels
    Participant

My husband has just been diagnosed with MDS. Please give us your opinion on the BEST experts and facilities to go to within the US. We appreciate any and all feedback. This is overwhelming…

We are celebrating our 42nd anniversary on the 19th. Alan is 67 and his MDS is from over exposure to radiation from his job at a nuclear power plant. Lineman of 42 years…

Thank you, Patty & Alan

tam
    Participant

Here’s my response to an earlier post.

For low platelets you might want to try organic dry papaya leaf. I buy 1 pound bags of organic leaves online from Starwest Botanicals, but there are other retailers. We buy paper tea bags and scoop a tablespoon of dry leaves in each bag and staple shut. Steep the papaya tea bag in hot water for 5-6 minutes. It may help. There is research showing that papaya can increase platelets. I have been drinking one cup per day for five years and my platelets have increased from where they were when I started. Give it a try — it certainly won’t hurt. I have read that two cups per day is completely safe. Good luck.

Rita Knopick
    Participant

Hello Patty,

I firmly recommend a MDS Center of Excellence that is closest to where you live. My husband has high risk MDS and we went to Strong Memorial Hospital in Rochester NY as that was the center closest to where we live in NE Pa. We are very thankful that we went there and go a second opinion. God Bless.

Michael
    Participant

Agree strongly with Rita. Use this site to find the Center of Excellence closest to you. I travel 2.5 hrs each way to a Center in NYC and have an excellent MDS expert overseeing my care in addition to my local hematologist.

Best Wishes

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert