MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

MDS vs MPD

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board MDS vs MPD

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Dick

Turned out to be an interesting session with my hemo today. He told me it may be that I do not have MDS but rather MPD (Myeloproliferative disorder). They are quite similar. As I understand it, one is not enough and the other is too much.

My counts today, Red 8.8, White 23 (out of range) and platelets 612 (also out of range) The White and Platelet counts have been running higher all this year.

Interesting, I’ve had 8 TX so far this year as compared to 18 in the first 6 months of 2006.

We decided to wait and see if a more definative trend develops before we do another BMB.

Not currently taking any medication except exjade. Procrit, Thalidomid, Prednizone, and Revlimid did not good.

Any similar cases?

Dick

sdrake

Dick,

What type of MDS do you have? My Dad has CMML which they say has characteristics of both MDS and MPD. He too had low RBC, and high WBC. Dad’s platelets usually run from 70-250 (quite a range). It looks like your platelets are high. I was just curious what your original diagnosis was.

By the way, I showed your MDS Four Step Program post to my Dad. Thanks for sharing that with all of us.

Shari

Dick

Shari

I”m RARS . . . diagnosed in 2003. Also have cocci which is a Southern California fungus which may be complicating the blood counts.

Dick

Pam Wishart

Hi Dick,

Is the 8.8 the number of red cells or your HB? I’m assuming it’s your HB value. I have MDS but probably have an MPD as well; they’re not mutually exclusive. My Hb is 76 (7.6 in US) and my platelets around 600, whites are usually normal.

Pam Wishart

choijk

Hi Dick,

My father is also MDS/MPD however he is more along the lines of MPD. The reason our hematologist believes that my dad is borderline is because his monocytes tend to be around the 13 range. Under the MPD classification, my father would be MF. But his wbc and platelets are just in the normal range. Actually, his wbc are on the low normal range but still holding up.

I joined a MPD e-mail newsletter, which is similiar to this forum except its through e-mail. I can sned you the link if you would like.

krishananth

Hi choijk

Please could you send the link for the MPD newsletter.

My father too has been diagonised for MDS/MPD. Docs say that it is difficult to treat both at the same time and it cannot be dealt with together. However, we would like to know more on this.

Please do send me the link.

Thanks
    Sandhya

choijk

Here is the site:

MPD-SUPPORT-L automatic digest system

I can’t recall how I joined the server list but I think if you e-mail the above referenced address, the forum leader, Robert Tollen, should be able to guide you.

Best of luck to you. Let me know if I can provide any other information.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert