MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

MDS with anemia and RLS

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board MDS with anemia and RLS

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Does anyone with anemia also have RLS (Restless Leg Syndrome)? There have been two times that I had transfusions and my HGB went up to 10. I noticed that both times my RLS improved. I do take Requip, but still have the symptoms of RLS on a daily basis. I have read that perhaps there is a connection between anemia and RLS. Any information on this?? Thanks.

Zoe

Interesting. I have no clue, but I have occassional symptoms of RLS, they have been increasing lately and for what it is worth, my hgb has been decreasing–went from 10 to 9 in two weeks.

Zoe

LynnI
    Participant

This is very interesting, I had RLS which was really bothering me, but I never mentioned it to my doc. This was before I was dx with MDS. For the last couple of years the RLS was terrible, but I haven’t had it for months. Actually I hadn’t given it much thought, until I saw this thread. At this point my hemoglobins are high end normal.
    Very interesting……..

Thanks for your response. I have read that RLS may be connected to a number of things. One is anemia and another is low iron. My RLS started
    before I was diagnosed with MDS, but of course can have MDS long before it is detected. I am glad to hear that your RLS has improved along with your hemoglobin. I continue to hope the RLS might improve when I begin Revlimid and the red counts improve. I take Requip for the RLS, but even at 2 or 3 pills a day I still have some VERY troublesome bouts with my legs jerking. I know it is nothing like a life-threatening condition, but it certainly is hard to deal with sometimes. It would be great if Revlimid turned out to be a two-fer for me: improve amemia and help with my RLS. Thanks again for posting.

Mary4Mike
    Participant

Two alternative things you might want to consider are low potassium levels and/or taking a vitamin E supplement. Of course ask your doc first and perhaps have your potassium levels checked. I know that if I go off my E for a few days, I have leg jerking, cramping, etc. Of course, I don’t have MDS, but it might be worth asking your doc if it would hurt to give it a try. Most docs would rather write a RX than try something natural, but hopefully yours is open minded. BUT I would ask first.

Best of luck,
    Mary

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert