MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

medical bracelet

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board medical bracelet

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Marilyndw8

Can anyone tell me where I can find a medical bracelet with the MDS info on it for my hubby. I’m very concerned about him being out and about and not being able to make someone understand he wouldn’t stop bleeding very easily. OR a necklace might be just as good

gemloyear

Hi Marilyn, I have seen them in some pharmacies, bracelets and tags on a chain.Iv’e also seen them advertised in magazines.I think Walgreen’s one place that has them .We carry a card with the info on it and then update it as needed.We also carry current Med. info with us,as we have meds from several doctors and we are always asked what he is taking .We have been told in case of bleeding ” get to the nearest ER “.I hope this helps.

Ellie

Neil

You can go to most jewelry stores and pick one out.
    I had the back inscribed with pertinent info.
    The red on the bracelet will wear off in time. Had it replaced and it wore off again. Then had the symbol etched to make it more obvious.
    I also put a copy of my most recent BMB and CBC in the glove compartment of my cars.
    Neil

Terri

I carry my journal with us everywhere and in it has Bobs meds and I record his weekly blood counts etc etc in it. I am lost without it.

Marilyndw8

Thanks for the info. You all have been a wealth of info to us!!! We will get a journal or something to record info in the car. That is a great idea and we hadn’t thought of that. His Dr has told him to go to the ER immedicately if anything unusual occurs.

lescolb

I believe your best bet is the Medic Alert program. Minimal information is engraved on the bracelet/medallion but it refers back to Dr and extensive profile that you provide. It can be updated online and there are cards, car decals etc to carry to back up information. It took me some time to decide how to tackle this, but this seems the most flexible and efficient way. There is an enrolment fee and a yearly maintenance fee – nominal? $ 35 includes the basic bracelet, $ 20 annual renewal, unlimited updates on the data base. As condition changes, treatments change, you can add information rather than re-engraving bracelet.

gemloyear

Leslie, Where do we find the medic alert program? It seems very efficient.
    Ellie

lescolb

SOrry for the delay in replying. I was away for while. http://www.medicalert.org is the website for the Medic Alert program. When you enroll, make sure to use the phone support in entering your health information. The web site is more geared to Heart, Diabetes, Dementia issues – and the phone support personnel are very conversant in our disease issues – unfazed by the concepts/issues of transfusion dependent, irradiated/leucocyte reduced blood products, etc. They will also help hyou decide what information is most important for the engraving on the bracelet/medallion. In addition to the
    bracelet/medallion which gives brief information and your file number and the conctact number for the Medic Alert data base, they issue hard plastic cards that have more extensive information on them. They also have decals for your car so that EMT’s will know to look for further information in the vehicle. I also have hard plastic cards in my wallet and in the glove box of the car, and on my refrigerator.

Good luck

gemloyear

Leslie, Thanks so much for the response.I hope it doen’t take too long, I will contact them right now.
    Ellie

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert