MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Medicare

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Andrea Sileo
    Participant

Trying to get my mom an appointment at a Center of Excellence in California or Phoenix, but it seems that none of them accept Aetna Medicare PPO. Is anyone on Medicare being seen at a Center of Excellence?

Thank you

Michael
    Participant

Original Medicare is my primary insurer and I am seen at a Ctr of E in New York. The physicians accept Medicare determined service rates. My supplemental or secondary insurer (United healthcare) covers the balance of Medicare determined rate less Medicare payment less my co payment. Your Mom my be in a Medicare Advantage plan as opposed to original Medicare.

Carole Tirico
    Participant

Michael – where is the center of excellence in New York. I live on Long Island and I have MDS, doctor has been watching counts for 4 years and now wants to start chemo on Monday, I am a little overwhelmed by all of this.
    Carole

Michael
    Participant

Carole-

I go to Columbia Med Ctr in Upper Manhattan. I travel there from Albany area. On this site you can see that there are 10 Centers in NYS. 8 of those are in Metro NYC. You likely can find one closer to you.

Best Wishes

PS~ I have been on watch and wait for three years. My local hematologist wanted to start Vidazza immediately but the Ctr of Ex stopped that approach.

Carole Tirico
    Participant

Thank you Michael

sheri
    Participant

That is what I have and so far has covered most of my bills. Never went to a center of excellence though.

sheri
    Participant

That is what I have and so far has covered most of my bills. Never went to a center of excellence though.

PATRICK CAMMARANO
    Participant

Andrea— I am pretty sure medicare is only good in the state you live in. Except if you are on vacation and find your self in another states ER. If you could use medicare across states lines that would be the ideal plan.

rar
    Participant

Medicare is good in any state. Supplement plans usually cover a small area.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert