MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Mom is going septic

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Mom is going septic

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    April

Mom is not doing well today or yesterday. She has been so sick and tired. I spoke to the nurse last night b4 we left and they are thinking that she is going septic. Didn’t really know what that ment until I looked it up this morning. I also spoke to my sister-in-law and she told me what it was. She said that it is not a good sign. My neice has cancer (4 years old) and when she went septic they didn’t think she was going to make it. So she is really bothered by this. The whole time we were there last night she kept throwing up. I felt so bad for her. They were suppose to do an MRI on her leg yesterday but they cancelled that because they didn’t think she was stable enough. Her leg is so swollen and very very warm. Has anyone delt with someone that was septic?

Carrie

I can’t really help but I hope that she gets better soon.

My mother was septic (septicemia?) many years ago but she didn’t have other complications like yours does and she recovered in a few days. I don’t know what sepsis does to someone in your mom’s position.

B. Greene

Vancomycin was always the magic drug for us. You might ask about it. Then when it got really nasty with the blood they added another drug and I am so sorry but can’t remember what it was but it took about a week before it worked. I will try to look it up. Barbra

April

Thanks for the info. I will ask them about that when I get there this evening. They were suppose to put in a central line but now they want to wait until the fevers are gone. I just feel so bad for her because she is just so weak right now..you know…and there’s really nothing we can do for her…. frown

shirlsgirl

Hi April,
    I work in microbiology and know a little about septicemia. Your mom must have had blood cultures drawn that are growing bacteria – ie. she has a bacterial infection that is in her bloodstream. If her leg is swollen and warm it’s possible that the infection originated there. They probably are also doing cultures on her leg, and it will probably show the same bacteria. If they don’t know what bacteria is growing yet they probably have her on a broad-spectrum antiobiotic and will monitor her fever. The organism identification and sensitivity results should be available within 24 hours of the cultures going ‘positive’ so the doctor’s will know if the antibiotic is fully effective.

I hope your mom feels better soon April! Jody

April

I just got off the phone with the nurse and she is doing much better today.

Barbara ~ I looked at her antibiotics and they are giving her the one that you mentioned.

She was fever free all night but she is still puffy. We have a meeting with the doctors today at 3 to discuss where we go from here..wish us luck..

Suzanne

Glad things are looking better. Good Luck!!!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert