MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

My father passed away…

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board My father passed away…

• This topic has 12 replies, 1 voice, and was last updated 18 years ago by Bec.
Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Theresa

on Saturday morning.

I posted a while back as my father developed MDS back in 2003 and in September 05 also developed very severe epilepsy. He has been in hospital since September and his condition got worse. He was in and out of intensive care with the seizures and during this time his transfusions went from every 4 weeks to every day…he was also having to have platelet transfusions daily too.
    Then at the beginning of the year we had some amazing news in the fact that my fathers iron levels were stable and they stayed like that from about January. The medical staff were amazed as he went from having the transfusions daily to not having one since then. They even managed to control his epilepsy and we were bringing him to a local nursing home for rehibilitation before him coming home.
    Then we had a phone call on Thursday to say he had developed pneumonia caused by reflux from his stomach peg (which was fitted to administer his medication and also feed him as he wasn’t eating)
    into his lungs. He was expected to hopefully come round but we got a phone call at 4.15 Saturday morning to say his condition had worsened…by the time we got to the hospital he had gone.
    It just seems completely unfair…after all the months of battling and finally seeing light at the end of the tunnel, this has happened in the most cruel way…it just doesn’t seem at all fair for him to go through all that to end up coming home in a box.

lucym

Dear Theresa,
    I am so sorry about your Dad. It is very unfair how there always seems to be surprises of the worst kind with this stupid disease. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Your Dad fought a tough fight and now he is at peace.
    Lucy

Rackon

Theresa, I am so sorry to hear about your father. This can be such a frustrating disease. If it’s any consolation, know that we family members and caregivers understand your pain.

My dad was diagnosed in 2002. He got along very well on Aranesp for almost 4 years and was transfusion free – it just stopped working for him in February. He is on Revlimid now but experiencing some other problems – mainly transfusion resistance. I’m very nervous, not just about the Revlimid therapy (which is more or less a last ditch effort) but I’m also afraid an opportunistic infection or complications from his kidney failure could throw a wrench into the works (guess you would say a “spanner” in GB). He was doing so well up until recently that dad was able to continue part-time work – at age 87. Now he’s fading away…can’t seem to keep his HG up above 8. Even with weekly transfusions he keeps falling to 6-7 a few after the tx.

Sounds like you had a very long, frustrating road with your dad. I know how crushing it can be to have hope and then suddenly feel like the rug is pulled out from under you. Just remember that MDS makes can make patients very vulnerable to other problems.

I hope you find some peace.

patti

Theresa,

My thoughts are with your family during this time. Life is so fragile and we don’t know one day to the next what will happen. Your dad fought a tremendous fight and difficult odds for a long time. Sometimes the body just wears out. I am so sorry for you and your family.

Take care,

patti

CarolineG

Theresa,

I am sorry that you lost your Dad. I will keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers.

Blessings,
    Caroline

QQ

Dear Theresa,

I am so sorry to hear this news. I wish all my friends here a healthy life in the future.

eve

dear theresa

my deepest sympathy to you and your family

eve

JAGGYONE

Theresa,

I am so sorry for your loss. It is sad to know that after fighting and winning so many battles, the war has been lost.

May memories help comfort you at this most difficult time.

My thoughts are with you and your family.

Judy

shirlsgirl

Theresa,

I’m so sorry. Sending my deepest sympathy to you and your family.

Please take care,

Jody

sarah

My deepest sympathy to you and your family.

Brenda P

I am so sorry for your loss.I know it’s difficult, and unexpected in spite of having this diagnosis. My thoughts are with you.

Bec

Theresa,

You and your family will be in my prayers.
    Bec

gemloyear

theresa, My sincere sympathy.
    Ellie

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert