MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

My husband

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board My husband

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    Susan Bachman
    Participant

My Husband was diagnosed two days ago with DMS low grade after a bone marrow biopsy. What kind of treatments have been effective?

Kevin Dugan
    Participant

I have been treated with rituxin for 4 years. It has kept me transfusion free.

Ashley Moncrief

Hi Susan,

Some of the most common treatment options are:

1. Red blood cell transfusions – to improve energy and reduce shortness of breath
    2. Platelet transfusions – to decrease risk of bleeding
    3. White blood cell growth factors – injections under the skin to reduce risk of infection
    4. Iron chelation medications – to reduce side effects of multiple blood transfusions
    5. Immunomodulatory drugs (IMiDs – lenalidomide, thalidomide) – pills to increase red cell production
    6. Hypomethylating agents (5-azacytadine, decitabine) – injections to improve all three blood elements and decrease leukemia risk
    7. Immune therapies (anti-thymocyte globulin, Campath) – used in younger patients with empty marrows
    8. Bone marrow transplantation – hospital-based treatments requiring several months of aggressive medical therapy
    9. Experimental treatments on clinical trials

The decision on what to treat with is based on many things including treatment goals, blood counts, mutations, and patient preference.

We are happy to send you some additional information. If you are interested, email me at amoncrief@mds-foundation.org or give me a call at 1-800-637-0839 ext. 210.

I hope this helps!

Ashley

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert