MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

My mother just died…

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board My mother just died…

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)
  • Author
    Alex

Not sure if anyone remembers my topic from a long time ago, here is the link: https://www.mds-foundation.org/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=004672

My mother just died at 56 years old. She was diagnosed with MDS in Feb. which progressed to AML in a matter of 4 months. She was only receiving blood transfusions for treatment, but was up to receive a bone marrow transplant from her sister who was a perfect match. Unfortunately, she had a large pulmonary embolism in her right lung and the doctors said they could not do anything because her disease made it untreatable =( She died on May 25th after being on life support for 40 hours.

I guess I need to hear from others who may have lost a relative recently. I’m only 24 years old and my mom will never see me graduate college, get married, or have children. I’m heartbroken and distraught with grief and feel I can not go on without my mom =(

Bec

Dear Alex,

My heart breaks for you and your family. Please remember that your Mom will be with you by all the special memories she has left you. I will pray for you.

Bec

eve

dear alex

my deepest sympathy to you at this most difficult time – may all the good memories you have of your mom help ease your pain

it is not easy to lose a parent – i had my dad a lot longer than you had your mom and it was still devastating when he passed away

i think about him everyday, and i hope that never changes

allow yourself to grieve – cry – get angry, but
    don’t be afraid to get professional help if you find the pain unbearable and it starts interfering with you daily life

eve

campbell

Alex. I am so sorry…… I lost my husband to this disease on April 16, 07 and my feeling are still fresh. I lost my father at 15 and I still remember the terrible hurt. All I can say it will get better with time but you will always have those special memories. Each death is different, spouse, child, etc. My faith has got me this far and I pray that you will have some peace soon.

jfensterer

Alex,

My dearest friend I will ever have ( my Mom) passed away at 10:28pm on April 15th. She was diagnosed with MDS in MArch of 2005- It started out alright, then we tried Revlimed, then she was transfusion dependent, then her plateletts dropped, then she had terrible bruises all over her body….and of course ther was the Neupo shots every Tues & Fri…along with 2 shots of Aranesp every month. When she got those shots, they kicked her bone marrow into high gear & she was flu-like at least 2 days a week for 2 years.

I am an only child, I do not have my Dad in my life, but I am married & have a wonderful 8 year old son. I am 43, I believe that my Mom did get to be there for what she and I needed….
    But, you know….I will think of that dear, wonderful, woman until the day I die. This was my worst fear….not having Mom. I was able to look at some video footage that I shot of her from before she was ill….When I watched it, I was happy to see her, sad that she was no longer with me…..but, I looked at her very closely….and saw that she was happy, HEALTHY and younger.
    I believe with every fiber of my being that she is now like that….if not better.

I know that does not help for right now……but, believe that your Mom is very well and will be with you where ever you go and see and be happy with all that you do.

God Bless the soul of your Mom & the pain that I know that you feel in your chest…….

lynette

Alex,
    I am so sorry to hear about your Mom. I lost my Mom in September. it has been difficult beyond words. I don’t have the right words, but I do have prayers.
    Lynette

Bkwits

Dear Alex,
    My heart aches for you in your loss. I lost my husband to this disease 18 months ago. At first I was just numb, then after the funeral I was in a daze for awhile. I was so used to spending every day at the hospital that I felt lost. I still miss him terribly, but I had to get on with life. My Mom is still with us, but in very poor health and physical condition. She is almost 90, and has been in critical condition a few times. Right now, she is stable but homebound. I wish you peace. Surround yourself with the love of your Mother and those who comfort you. God bless. Barb

Russ P.

Dear Alex,
    I’m not good at words but I pray that memories of happier days with your mom and the Lords tender mercy will sustain you and the family.
    With my AML my time is short, but I would hope my family knows when I go, that I’m in a better place – guaranteed by my faith in Jesus Christ.
    Russ

Terri

Alex, My prayers are with you, I know that there are no words I could express to make you feel better right now. My Mom passed away this January not from this disease but it still is so hard, I stil miss her. I have to agree with Russ and believe that we al will go to a better place.
    May God Bless you

jaxem

alex

i’m pissed. every time i hear someone dying from this ugly disease, it makes MY blood boil, & i’m not suffering from a blood disease. i wish more was being done to combat it. there’s a lot of people out here that are suffering with you. I know I am. I’m sorry about the embolism and that the disease made it untreatable. 56 is way too young for anyone to pass on. i’m really sorry for you.

choijk

Alex,
    I am so sorry for your loss. There are no words to express what you are going through and the grief you must be feeling. I hope you accept my sincerest apologies and deepest condolesences. Please stay strong and lean on others when you are feeling weak. They say it takes time to heal, but I know often times that isn’t the case. Hopefully through God’s grace, you will be able to find peace. I will be praying for you…….. Please let me know if there is anything that I may be able to do to help you cope with this grief…. whether its a phone call, emailing, or sending supportive messages….. please let me know.

You are in my thoughts and prayers,
    June

CarolineG

Alex,

Please accept my condolences. You are so young to lose your Mom. I will continue to keep you in my prayers.

Blessings,
    Caroline

bper

Alex,

sorry to hear about your Mom. I lost my Dad when I was 38. It wasn’t recently… it was about 5 years ago, but I remember everything like it was yesterday. He wasn’t sick for long, 6 months maybe …and then he was gone.

Right after he died, I immediately signed up for Team in Training and raised a ton of money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society…I am sure that the MDS Foundation is in need of money for research as well. I found this was a great way to get my frustrations out and try to do some good at the same time.

Hopefully a cure will be found for this disease one day. The sooner the better.

Beth

fotis
    Participant

Alex,

i am at a similar position as you were some months ago. The thought of the future and the things that may happen is devastating.

Difficult times are ahead of you now, but i am sure the memories that your mother gave you will give you the strength to go on, and will keep her in your heart and thoughts for ever.

My thoughts are with you.

Teresa

Alex;

I am so sorry for your loss. My mother has MDS, and is transfusion dependant. I can not bear the thought of losing her.

But I know that the peace of God and the love of family and friends will sustain through the days and months ahead.

You are in my thoughts and prayers

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 21 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert