MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

My Mother was cured.

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board My Mother was cured.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Doug

My mother was diagnosed with MDS about three years ago. I have thought about posting this info for a long time and am ashamed I waited so long.
    On a checkup at Kaiser Panorama City it was found that she had almost no blood and she was subseqently diagnosed with MDS. The doctors told us she had maybe three months to live and to get her affairs in order. Over the next several weeks, she was given transfussions to keep her going. First it was once every ten days, then once a week, then twice a week. She was 83 years old. Due to the effects of the drugs she was on, she got mouth canker sore so bad she could barely swallow so she was admitted to the hospital. While there she was given intravenous anti viral drugs. Zovirex. She also had been on Procrit.
    Her canker sores subsided and we went back to the routine of transfusions but after about three weeks her doctor said her blood levels were improving. After another month or so they were normal. Finally the doctor announced she was in total remission.
    She remains clear of the disease to this day. I am sorry the details of this post are not more specific but my recollections are not that great.
    I was a little shocked that the doctor didn’t make more of a deal over this and it has nagged at me to this day so I have made this post in hopes that it leads to a cure.
    Doug

Mary4Mike
    Participant

Doug,
    Was your mother diagnosed by a bone marrow biopsy? If not, I really doubt if she had MDS. Having almost no blood is not a symptom of MDS. Perhaps she was extremely anemic and the Procrit and transfusions built her up to a better state of health. The Zovirex rid her body of perhaps Epstein Barr besides the herpes simplex 1 virus. This would be an answer as to why she was so run down. I am thrilled that she recovered.

All the best.

Doug

I am only going by the doctor’s diagnosis but who knows. I don’t remember if she
    had a bone biopsi.

lindajo

MDS may have a viral basis. It is possible the disease will reoccur. It is imperative that you get copies of all of her lab results and doctors notes. If she gets sick again knowing what was done and when can save you valuable time in a critical or emergency situation. Even if she gets a completely different health problem that is unrelated it might save her expensive and painful testing in the future. I am grateful she has recovered from her crisis.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert