MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Nadine's progress

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Nadine's progress

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    mamakayz

Hello All.

Just thought I’d drop a note to update everyone on my wife Nadine’s condition. She wanted to keep up with the forum, both reading and writing, but unfortunately she’s not thinking too sharply these days…and also, her internet connection in the hospital isn’t working too well. She went into JHU on 4-6, endured 5 days of combined chemotherapy, had her BMT on 4-13, then finished off the ride with 3 more days of chemo. Apparently this is a “new” procedure that has been shown to improve GVHD symptoms. So basically she’s been going thru 20 days of watching counts, waiting, fighting nightly fevers, fighting a couple really bad rashes on her arms and legs, almost daily blood transfusions, and enduring some less-than-appetizing hospital food.(I started bringing her groceries) It wasn’t until about 2 days ago that things started getting a little hairy…her platelets apparently are taking much longer to bounce back than her reds and whites, thus causing some other side effects, such as an enlarged spleen, possible enlarged kidney, vomitting of blood, extreme stomach pains. The doctors aren’t overly concerned and say that they can see some cell growth, and that some growth is better than none.
    So they’re keeping her pumped up with morphine and other meds for pain and continuing to bump up her counts with platelet transfusions, hoping to stimulate the new growth.

So we continue to wait and pray.

It truly hasn’t been a picnic becoming a sudden single father of 4 young boys, but compared to what Nadine is going thru, I don’t have it too bad…and I have learned not to take certain things for granted.

Thanks for the kind thoughts in the past, and my thoughts are with all of you too.

Jon

Suzanne

Tell Nadine Happy Mother’s Day-(and to you too since you are both right now!)I saw her two weeks ago and thought she looked very well. She had no counts then but the other problems must have come since. I know she is anxious to be out of that room but it is the best place for her at the moment. I sure hope by the time I am back up there on the 20th she will be out in the patient & family housing & I am checking to see if I can catch her in Hipop. The chemo after a tranplant must be a new thing. Don’t know if it applies here, since I did not have a transplant but my doc did tell me that every time they knock the counts down they are slower to come back and he also said that after the 1st round of chemo the platelets are the most effected. I am wishing all of you the best- but especially Nadine. she is one strong lady and I know she is giving it her all. I think averyone I have been in contact with that had a transplant said those first months were a real battle.

Terri

Prayers and Best wishes to Nadine and you as well

sarah

Keeping Nadine and your family in our prayers. Keep fighting Nadine!
    Sarah

Kathy G

Thoughts & prayers for Nadine – hope she has a good Mother’s Day and feeling well enough to acknowledge it. Thanks for letting us know how she is doing.

Kathy

gemloyear

Praying for good results for Nadine, hoping that she is feeling much better soon.
    Ellie

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert