MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Need to talk to someone

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Need to talk to someone

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)
  • Author
    franm

Jim had a BMB last Tuesday and today the Doc called on our Cell phone to tell him that the test didn’t turn out good and he has to start Vidaza, Monday. We will know the numbers of the biopsy on Friday the 19th when we see the Dr.

She said that he will be getting the Vidaza for 7 days in a row and then have 2 weeks off and 7 days again for 6 weeks.

Beside Jim’s illness I have TMJ and it is getting worst. I see a new dentist on Monday and he will tell me the cost to get an appliance made for me to use when I eat and sleep.

My younger daughter Bonnie who lives in Sacramento is having a Hysterectomy the same day that Jim see’s the oncologist. Bonnie wants me to for a visit in June for a week but I can’t see leaving Jim alone for a week. My grandson is having a Confirmation on June 2 and Debbie my older daughter wants me to come and stay with her also. She lives in Sacramento also.t We live in Phoenix.

Since Jim and I have only been married for 12 years the girls still like to be alone with just me.

I am really torn.

Thanks for listening to me cry.

Regards to you all and G-bless everyone of you.

Fran(wife of Jim)

Dennis

Fran,

First of all, double check that Vidaza schedule. You need time between cycles to build up again. There is no “loading dose”.

Second, You can get through this. 9 months ago I was dx’d with a nasty form of mds — one of the last lines in the biopsy said “shorter survival”. There was a bump in the road, but we’re moving forward.

I am in the Phoenix area. I’d be willing to meet with you and Jim. I’m only a young’un of 54, but maybe we can share some experiences.

It is by no means over. There IS a tomorrow, and several more after that.

Dennis

franm

Hi Dennis:

I think that Jim would like to talk to someone that has what he has. It would be really good for his outlook on life.

Please call us so we can meet.

I will really appreciate that.

Phone number is: 623-544-5997.

Please ask for Jim, so you can talk to him. Right now all he wants to do is sleep.

Thank you sooo very much.

Fran

Engel

Dennis, I call you my shing light, since you always have such good advice. Our luck is running out, today our BMB showed that my husband Kornel has AML and they put him in the hospital, low RBC and PLAT they want to start aggressive chemo in a day or two. I am so scared do you know of anyone who could help and discuss this with me. Thanks.Gloria

gemloyear

Engel, The hospital would have a social worker that you and your husband could talk to. Usually they are a great deal of help. When you go to the hospital tomorrow ask to speak to a social worker.My husband was also dx with AML recently but decided not to go with chemo.He has other illnesses that would probably make him much sicker if he were to take any chemo. He receives blood transfusions and other meds as needed. So far he is doing fairly well. There might also be a patient support group connected with the hospital. It’s good to talk to someone close by who is in the same situation as you. Our prayers are with you and your husband.
    Take care, Ellie

franm

Hi Elle and Glen:

My husband is going to have his Chemo at Del Webb Hospital, starting on Monday. I guess there is a social worker or someone that we can talk to but he is in denial now and all he wants to do is sleep.

Since, Jim has a heart problem as well as having other health problems I am worried about the Vidaza. He will have to have that 7 days to begin with and I hope that doesn’t effect his heart.

Fran

Terri

I agree with the post above, The vidaza schedule is ususally every four weeks. You have 7 days straigth and the next cycle should begin 4 weeks from the day you start it. There is a lot of info on the Pharmion website but go under the part for the Doctors it gives info on dosage and how it is administered.

Engel

Dear Ellie,
    Thanks for your reply I will seek out a Social Worker tomorrow at the hospital. They want to start Chemo right away since that will be my husbands best chance, he is very brave and we do have a strong faith, but it is so hard. I have tried to do some research at the AML site without any luck. This forum here is my life saver everyone is so great, I love you all and pray that all will turn out for everyone.
    Gloria

husband 69, just dx with AML after only 4 months of MDS RARS Procrit did not work, Tx. every 4 weeks.

gemloyear

Fran, The social workers know the right questions to ask to draw your husband out. And should he not respond to them it would still help you, to relieve some of your anxiety. If they start the chemo and your husband should have any serious side effects I’m sure they would stop it.I’ve found that the worrying is usually worse than the actual results. I speak from experience, I’m a worrier also. By the way 12yrs. or 54 yrs.(us) makes no differance, you belong with your husband. He really needs you.God Bless,
    Ellie

Dennis

Engel,

There are some who have said the AML was the best thing that happened, because it was more responsive to treatment than the MDS was. There’s a blessing in everything, look and you will find it. Keep the faith, keep holding each other up. And draw on the combine strength of those who care for you. You can get through this.

Dennis

Engel

Dennis, My husband had his first two Chemos this weekend, he is holding up fine. He will be in the hospital for about 4 to 5 weeks they say, I have not spoken with a Social Worker as yet and although the doctors and nurses are very nice, I am looking for a support group. Everyone on this board has been so great and I pray for you all and have found such a bond here. I was always so protected by my husband and now I feel so lost. Gloria
    husband AML as of May 12, 06 and having Chemo.

sarah

Engel, best advice I can give you is to be there with him through it all. He needs you. Cherish each moment with him.
    God Bless,
    Sarah

Engel

Dear Sarah,
    Thank you for your advice and I am so sorry that Charlie passed on, he is with God and in a better place. My husband was very depressed today and cried, he has had two chemos and today was to have a transfusion, but doc said he was holding his own and would do chemo again tomorrow. I go to hospital in the morning and stay until about 4.00 he wants me to drive home before the heavy traffic. Thank you so much for posting. God Bless you. Gloria

franm

Hi All:

Well we finally found out what Jim’s Blast is: The Oncologist told him it is 29 and that is why she is starting him on Vidaza. He will take it for 7 days and then a 2 week off and then again for 6 sessions. She said that she wants to be very agressive with him at this time. He also has Rab-2, which means he is not doing very good. We will see how he is doing after the first session which will start this Thursday. He will see the Oncologist on Friday.

Anyone else in his shoes, please write. I would love to hear your story.

Fran

patti

Fran,

My MIL was dx with RAEB-2 with greater than 30% blasts in her marrow at that time. I guess today they’ve changed that dx to AML but two yrs ago she was considered RAEB-t. She has done no chemo and has done completely natural treatments. Nearly two years later she’s doing really well and the chinese doctor he’s seeing is starting to slllloooowwwwly increase her time between transfusions. She was at two weeks for awhile. After she started seeing him she’s at just over three weeks between transfusions.

I guess my only suggestion is if Jim does the Vidaza make sure he’s taking care of his body very well. It will make the chemo more effective and any side effects less difficult.

all the best,

patti

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 39 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert