MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

New and wondering what's going on?

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board New and wondering what's going on?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)
  • Author

My doctor has told me that I have a “very questionable myelodysplasia” or that my body is taking a long time to get over mononucleosis. So, here I sit, wondering what is going on? I have fatigue, chills and sweats, headaches, and malaise. What does “very questionable myelodysplasia” mean? Oh, and I have never had mononucleosis. He did blood tests to test for HIV and hepatitis, which were negative. How long should I wait for a definitive diagnosis?

Suzanne

Sounds to me like they do not have a definite diagnosis.Can’t tell you how long to wait. I believe if they do a bone marrow test they will know whether you have MDS. I would go to a Hemotologist that is familiar with MDS and find out. Put Mono in a search engine. We used to call it “the kissing disease”& thought of it as a teenage disease. It does make you very tired and you usually run a low fever. And poeple other then teenagers do get it. For your sake lets hope it is mono.

Hello Suzanne, I’ve had lymphocytosis for over a year. Last month, I developed neutropenia. I, also, am somewhat anemic. My hgb is about 10.4. My ANC is 1.4. He did do a bone marrow biopsy and aspiration, and the almost diagnosis is “very questionable myelodysplasia”. I am wondering if there’s a way to get a definitive answer?

franm

Hi Lady:

First of all how old are you? Also did you have a CBC With Differential/Platelet blood test? If so, it will show what your WBC, RBC, Platelets etc. Also, like Suzanne said go to a Hemotologist that can test you more complete.

Fran

Hello FranM, I’m 46 years old. Here’s my last CBC report. I am seeing a hematologist. That’s why I don’t understand why he doesn’t know what it is. I just kind of wondered how he came up with a “questionable myelodysplasia”?

Here’s my CBC:

WBC 5.0 K/uL —
    RBC 4.74 x10^6/uL–
    HGB 10.9 g/dL Low —
    HCT 33.7 % Low–
    MCV 71.0 fL Low–
    MCH 23.1 pg Low–
    MCHC 32.5 g/dL Low–
    RDW 13.1 %–
    PLT 314 k/uL —
    MPV 7.3 fL Low—
    NE% 31.7 % Low—
    LY% 53.1 % High

Manual Diff

SEGS 28 % Low–
    Lymphs 50 High —
    Monos 14 High —
    Eos 4 High–
    Basos 4 High–

Plt est adequate
    Microcyte 3+
    Hypochromia 2+

patti

Have you considered getting a second opinion from an MDS center of excellence? I think that would be a logical next step. It’s really hard to say looking at your counts. They don’t look terrible. A little low but….

patti

lindajo

I went to three centers of excellence and that is the same diagnosis I got at all three. They felt my marrow failed and should have recovered but didn’t and so they call mine very early mds. I have been a patient since 1991. I have had infrequent transfusions and antibiotics as needed. It is possible they may never come up with another name for what you have. I have been waiting for 15years for a better name for it. At least it isn’t AML.

lindajo

I just noticed you are from Kansas. Where in Kansas?

I live in Wichita. I just found out today that they didn’t do any cytogenetics on the bone marrow, nor were they able to do a “cellularity” test because there was a lack of bone marrow tissue. mad

LindaJo, where are the Centers of Excellence that you went to? Are there any in Kansas?

lindajo

I went to St. Louis, Barnes Jewish; Sloan Kettering in New York; and Cleveland Clinic in Cleveland Ohio. I recommend Cleveland as the best or MD Anderson in Houston TX.

lindajo

Sorry, but I posted the reply before I answered your question. No there aren’t any in Kansas but there is one in Omaha Nebraska

Linda, did you have fatigue, chills, sweats, and headaches? I’m miserable. I keep thinking that maybe I’m going through menopause or something…but I haven’t had a period in about a year. For the last 2 or so years, I may have had 3 cycles. So, I think that if I were going through menopause that it should be over by now.

One more question? Do I need a referral to see a doctor at a Center of Excellence?

lindajo

I have all of those symptoms. When I was diagnosed at 29 my period stopped for a year and a half. Then it restarted and felt like I was going through puberty again.

Yes you need a referral to get into a CofE. Your hemo can and should be glad to give you one. Linda

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 26 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert