MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

new diagnosis MDS-EB-1 w 5Q deletion

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board new diagnosis MDS-EB-1 w 5Q deletion

Tagged: ,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Jack Deutsch
    Participant

72 y/o male, hemoglobin dropping steadily for >10 years. Diagnosed MDS last week after bone marrow biopsy. 5% blasts. Cytogenetics showed 5Q deletion. Started Revlimid 10 mg. RBC ~8. WBC and platelets are dropping. I am told that 5Q is favorable; is that consistent with EB-1 and 5% blasts? My doc is local Brooklyn hematologist, highly regarded, but I think that I need a second opinion from a major med center. Appreciate any guidance and advice. Thank you.

Jack Deutsch
    Participant

Correction: HgB ~8

Bob
    Participant

You are fortunate to be near quite a few Centers of Excellence. I would call, make an appointment, del(5q) is generally favorable but may not align with excess blasts, which is a separate category. There are lots of factors that determine treatment. You need to have everything explained to you.

Michael
    Participant

Jack

I suggest you see an mds expert at one of the many centers of excellence nearby. My initial diagnoses was 6% blast from local hospital and local hematologist. I went to center of excellence and saw an mds expert. Results were 1% blasts I’ve been on watch and wait for 2.5 years with no progression of disease. This disease tracks differently for each individual. Need a doctor with specialty in mds.

Good luck.

Lorraine Kozlowski
    Participant

Find an MDS Foundation, Inc facility near you. That’s whet we’re going to do.

stacey
    Participant

Jack,
    When I was first diagnosed in 2004 with 5q- MDS (no blasts), I saw Dr. Selina Luger at Penn Medicine in Philadelphia which is a Center of Excellence. She is a terrific doctor and extremely knowledgable about the disease. That might be about a 2 hour drive for you, and perhaps someone will give you a recommendation that is closer, but I did want to pass along her name to you in the meantime.
    Best of luck,
    -Stacey (age 48, started with 10 mg Revlimid, currently taking 5 mg Revlimid daily)

Jack Deutsch
    Participant

Thank you all for your advice and support. I am in the process of seeking consultation with an MDS Center near me.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert