MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

New MDS diagnosis, I welcome advice

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board New MDS diagnosis, I welcome advice

Tagged: ,

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Judith Barnes
    Participant

Hello! I’m 75 years old. In 2018 I underwent treatment for inflammatory breast cancer, BRCA1 positive. In 2003 I’d been treated for a different (yet similar) breast cancer with chemo, lumpectomy, radiation. Now I find out that my treatment caused a few mutations in some bone marrow cells and I have high risk (secondary) MDS. A bone biopsy (to explain my decrease in platelets) revealed mutations in DNMT3A, SF3B1, and TP53. My FISH report specified deletion 5q and trisomy 8. Good news, NO EXCESS BLASTS!

I am in the UCLA system and they are one of several centers of excellence nearby. The week after next I will begin treatment with Azacitidine. My husband will take me for the first treatment at least, as I don’t know how it will affect me. I found a useful article that recommended taking Ondansetron prophylactically, which I will do, so I no longer have that question. But I welcome any additional advice you experienced participants can provide.

Kathy Stermer
    Participant

The ondansetron or zofran should be part of your treatment plan. I find it is so constipating for me I can take it a few hours after I get my Vidaza to last me into evening as it’s only every 8 hours and I load up on Senna 4 tabs daily a few days before and after treatment. As everyone responds differently you’ll have to see what works best for you. Hopefully you’ll have a good response.

Judith Barnes
    Participant

Thanks for the Senna tip. I still have Miralax from my 2018 opioid constipation adventure, so I’ll start with that. How long have you been getting Vidaza?

Kathy Stermer
    Participant

Just finishing up my 5th cycle. So far nothing happening but going another round and see where we’re at. Might need another biopsy but last 3 done for lack of progress shoes disease stable. My body just doesn’t want to cooperate.

Judith Barnes
    Participant

Hang in there! At least you’re stable. But I see how you could be a bit discouraged after five cycles.

ppn2018
    Participant

Judith Barnes:
    [Perhaps there is some confusion with the title on your post and the contents.
    See my reply about Lisinopril and Amlodipine.
    As for MDS-MLD, I am now on “Wait and Monitor” regimen.
    My advice: BE YOUR OWN BEST ADVOCATE!Ti WILL BE
    AT THE MDS-fOUNDATION MEETING IN NASHVILLE ON THURSDAY.
    ppn

Judith Barnes
    Participant

Kathy, I’d love to hear more about your CBD products but haven’t figured out how to private message you. I’ve used a CBD cream for my itchy/burny belly but suspect it might be the peppermint oil that has a cooling effect. I’ve used aloe Vera gel more frequently. I’m also interested in sleep products.

Judy
    judybarnes44@gmail.com

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert