MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

New MDS Patient

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board New MDS Patient

Tagged: 

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Michael Cook
    Participant

Just got diagnosed. I have my 1st appt. in 1.5 weeks. They said the Doctor and Coordinator will meet with me to see if I am a candidate for a transplant. Why would I not be? I’m only 49. No other issues other than A-Fib.

Chris Ballmer
    Participant

I’m 51. I wouldn’t jump right in to a transaplant if i could put my two cents in (you’ll have to qualify first anyways). Are you on anything now?, trying some lower power drugs first may or may not buy you some time. Have a list of questions for the professionals, and consider alternative ways to elongate your lifespan. I’m using a operator-moderated mixture of conventional and alternative treatments… Nutrition changes/improvements are possible and may also give your body more resilience in case you need to start on a chemo based regimen. Just saying.

glynes
    Participant

Sorry to hear of your diagnose. This is pretty standard to do an evaluation. Might seem illogical but you have to be healthy enough to go through but not be so healthy that you don’t need it. What I’ve learned is if the risk of your condition is below the risk of the transplant, they will put you on hold. The reason is that the transplant is a very difficult process and there is a significant mortality risk. Understand that while transplant is the only known cure, it is also viewed as procedure of last resort because of the risk.

I’d suggest before you go, you do some research looking at the process and risk of transplant so you understand and can ask good questions. Don’t overly focus on the risk statistics because they aren’t pure and many of those who go through have other health problems that complicate their outcome. In going for the eval you have to know you want the transplant because they will ask and you have to be committed. Of course you can tell them you need to time to think about it but it will come down to your decision if they are on board in doing the transplant.

I hope this helps. Good luck with the evaluation.

Michael Cook
    Participant

Thank you for the input, Chris.
    So, are you a candidate for a transplant? If so, why aren’t you doing it?
    What kind of meds are you trying and did you find out about them thru research or your doctor?

Chris Ballmer
    Participant

Michael – City of Hope in LA put my name into their global database, and my brother is a half match. I’m not doing it because it would be too risk, for the need. It’s like cutting off your finger because you pricked it with a rusty nail… you’d try some lower risk things first… but if it got gangrene and infected then that may be the only way to save your life, etc… Procrit to boost RBCs, my Kaiser Onc prescribed as normal protocol to boost red blood cells because they are low and getting more oxygen to my brain is a good thing…expecially for my old brain! 😉

Michael Cook
    Participant

Follow up – I went to my first meeting at the MUSC Cancer Center in Charleston, SC yesterday. The Oncologist says that they are going to watch my numbers monthly and see how it goes. Numbers aren’t low enough to warrant doing a transplant right now. Going to see if I can get a second opinion of what’s going on from a Circle of Excellence Hospital, University of Alabama Birmingham Comprehensive Cancer Center.
    http://cancercenter.uab.edu/why-choose-the-uab-comprehensive-cancer-center/cancer-types/leukemia/

Michael
    Participant

Michael

This disease is very finicky. A second opinion from an expert at a Center of Excellence seems to be a wise choice.
    I am 66 and was diagnosed in June 2016 with RAEB1 6% blasts from local hematologist/hospital. The recommendation was to start Vidazza treatment. Second opinion from MDS expert at Center of Excellence was very low risk RCMD 1% blasts, no treatment but monthly peripheral blood tests and annual bone marrow biopsies. I remain on watch and wait (took some time to wrap my head around it). My advice—put your faith in the experts.

Paul Dyer
    Participant

I’m 50 male and was diagnosed July 2018. Cytogenetic testing of marrow showed multiple mutations including TP53. I did a clinical trial of APR 246 + azacitidine for 2 months then trial of venetoclax just before transplant on November 3 2018. Go to a Center of Excellence! Depending on your MDS risk and outcome, there are many options.

Pat Lawson
    Participant

Paul how are you doing since your transplant? My husband is in a trial taking vidaza and ventaclax and he is doing really good. The doc is pushing for him to do a transplant if his blasts keep dropping but we are on the fence due to the risks.

Michael Cook
    Participant

Thanks, Paul. I have a second opinion appointment scheduled at a COE Hospital this Friday. Getting another BM Biopsy and lab work. Last Oncologist informed that I am intermediate MDS with a High Risk of AML due to my defective 7Q. We’ll see what this one says.
    How is your transplant going?

Richard Macgurn
    Participant

Hello all. I was diagnosed in nov 2018, aside from 1 bag of platekettes and of red cells I’ve had no meds. The transfusions were done as my wbc was 1.4 and plateletes at 9.4. I also did 3 shots of nupogen yo boost wbc count. Then I flew off to Arizona and went first to virgina piper cancer center. They redid bone biopsy and found blasts at sub 5% in marrow none in periferal bloood. Since first biopsy in Costa Rica showed 10-15% blasts there was confusion. So I went to a COE Mayo Clinic and there they did biopsy #3. This showed blasts under 2% and two chromosomes missing 12p and 20q In marrow stem cells. But they say I’m low risk so we waiting more test results. One hospital wants me to start Vidaza a week a month forever (5 years they say) but Mayo says doing nothing means 3-5 years.

So I’ve started looking at other options like Gc-Maf, Coleys Toxin, dendritic cells,high dose infusions. Anyone out there had any successs with Alt medicine on MDS?

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert