MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

New patient's advocate

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board New patient's advocate

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    Zolita Marquez
    Participant

My husband platelet count was found low platelets (127) from routine lab in 2012. His PMD was monitoring his labs every 4 months. It was fluctuating but was always below 150. He had a 2nd lumbar laminectomy in 2017 which his hematologist cleared him. Her diagnosis was confirmed with #2 BM biopsy in Sept. 2018, low risk MDS. He has been getting Neupogen every week since November 2018. He is still working as a general practitioner dentist in Southern California. His hematologist/oncologist seems to be ok with his current treatment and his body’s response. As a wife, I am worried sick for him. Latest Platelet was 94, WBC 3.2 and WBC 3.8.

Michael
    Participant

Z~~~

I was diagnosed in June 2016 RCMD low risk. I have no issue with platelets, RBC is modestly low, hbg avg 12, wbc avg 1.5, and ANC nearly always below .5. I am on watch and wait, with monthly blood draw and annual bmb. Drs. generally don’t prescribe neupogen as prophalactic. I had a number of neupogen injections at outset as initial hematologist wanted to use Vidazza treatment. Neupogen was to bring wbc to level that made hematologist comfortable to use Vidazza. Second opinion at Center of Excellence with MDS expert led to no treatments but monthly monitoring.
    Since June 2016 I’ve been essentially infection free, although I do get some minor skin infections from time to time.

This disease affects everyone differently. I wish you and your husband all the best.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert