MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Newbie with questions

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Newbie with questions

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    shellbivens
    Participant

This is my first post. I’ve been “lurking” for about a year now. I feel as if I know alot of you already. My dad was 55 when diagnosed with MDS 12/05. He was taking weekly shots of Aranesp for about 5 months before he rec’d disability.He was a printer for 27 years for a small town box factory. He had his 1st transfusion 12/05. The second one was 11/06. Since then he has had them approx every 2-4 weeks. Dr. told us last Wed. that the insurance companies (Humana & United) are no longer covering Aranesp inject.He has Blue Cross Blue Shield. So far they are only covering Procrit. DR is really pushing Vidaza/Decogen. He is not ready to do either one- not to mention that they are not covered under his insurance. On top of the MDS he has heart problems. Had triple by pass 18 yrs ago.Has had numerous angioplasties, and 2 stents with an angioplasty 8/06. He started CHELATION about 10 yrs ago and that helped keep his heart up. He hasn’t Chelated in approx 1 yr. We STRONGLY believe in the chelation.
    I was wondering if there’s anyone out there with similar circumstances. We are planning on attending the MDS conf in Las Vegas. If nothing else but to speak to others in our situation. Patti- I applaud your diligence w/ alternative meds. I truly believe in them. My dad was sent home in 1994 to hurt bad enough to come back and have 2 of the three by passes re-done, or to die. He found an ALTERNATIVE treatment/ CHELATION!!!! He has survived for all those years with out problems!!!! He is due to go into the hospital Friday 4/27 for a look see at his heart. He has been having chest pains since 1/07. Thought it was because his blood count got too low. His cardiologist is not confering with his cancer doc. When his red cells drop to 10.5 or lower he goes into the hospital for a transfusion. He is unable to work and receives SS disability benefits. His daily routine consists of seeing my mom off to work, going back to bed for a couple of hours, flip flopping from the couch to the recliner. having lunch, couch and recliner again. When my mom comes home, he visits with her and they eat dinner, bathe and then more couch and recliner before going to bed for the night. He is on antidepressants with little results. My parents have had to fight with EVERYONE!!! From the company he works for, for time off, insurance companies, drug companies, social security, doctors, hospitals, etc. NOTHING has been easy. Everything has been a struggle. Has anyone else incurred problems with insurances not willing to pay for any treatment associated with MDS???? This has been a very difficult time for us as I am sure it has been for all other patients and their families. Any information would be greatly appreciated. God bless each and every one of you.

choijk

Hi Shellbivens,

Congrats to your first post. It gets easier with each post. =)

I know what you mean about your dad’s days sitting on the recliner and waiting for your mom to come home to have dinner. My dad is the same way.

I’m sorry that I can not be of any help with some of your questions, but I will be attending the MDS convention with my parents in Las Vegas this August. Hope to meet you there.

shellbivens
    Participant

I hope to meet a lot of you there. I feel as though we are family. In a way, we are. I’ve been “lurking” looking for answers for about a year now. Life is tough sometimes and we just have to make the best out of the hand we have been dealt. Thanks for the reply.

patti

Shellbivens,

Is your dad taking Cod Liver Oil for his heart? If he’s not and I tell you he should start taking it I will get hollared at by some good folks here – so I’ll just say this – if you have a naturapath for your dad, ask if he’s okay with him taking CLO. If no ND then ask his cardiologist if he cares if he takes it. He’ll likely tell you to be careful about the Vit. A. Don’t worry about that. He’s wouldn’t drink a bottle a day. If you get okays for him to take it, have him start taking 2 tbls of CLO a day for 6 weeks and then down to 1 tbls a day thereafter. It should really help open up and clear out his arteries. Not to mention a host of other health benefits.

I’m with you on the chelation therapy. Very good stuff. So many folks have heavy metals in their bodies. Removing the stuff heals a ton of illnesses.

Since you’re interested in natural medicine for your dad, it would be worth finding a good cancer naturapth to work with him. Let me know if you would like help finding one and I can send you a link.

I would not recommend Dacogen for him if he already has so many health problems. As far as I’m concerned, for someone with pre-existing health issues, it’s just a fast road to a sickly death. He may sleep a lot. But at least he’s not outright feeling “sick.” Sleeping is the bodies way of trying to conserve energy. Especially if his heart is struggling. Let him sleep….

take care,

patti

shellbivens
    Participant

Patti, I know where you are coming from. I’ve been “lurking” for quite some time now & have read the arguments. I will say this, if it hadn’t been for chelation for my dad’s heart problems, I don’t believe he would be here today. I strongly believe in some of the alternative treatments available to people…if they would just take the time to do their own research. I’ve already passed the Cod Liver Oil info on to my mom & dad. He is having the angiocath (msp?)done tomorrow afternoon & I plan on talking to his cardiologist about it. I accompany him to the MDS doctor every week. I feel they get tired of my questions. The way I see it…I only have one daddy and I will not feel intimidated for checking all avenues we may have available. What do we have to lose? Anyway, I just wanted to thank you for your input. God Bless you and your family.

patti

Shellbivens,

I understand what you mean about asking them questions. When it came to taking care of my MIL I was a bulldog. A nice one, but I got my way no matter what. She was my mum-in-law and I loved her like a mom and no one was going to mess with her health but her and I. She was very quiet and shy so she always had me do the talking. I liked her last doctor but I don’t trust doctors as far as I could throw them. I think when medical care is necessary it is always complementary to add in natural. It can only strengthen the body. Keep advocating for your dad! I am so glad I did for mom. You will NEVER regret it.

Take good care,

patti

tasmith123

shellbivens,You can contact aransep.com .They have a program that will supply aransep at no charge to you. Good luck to you T.S.

shellbivens
    Participant

Thamk you so much Patti and all who have posted on this board. I have received so much info that has been beneficial to my daddy’s treatment. We are all in the same boat and can benefit from others experiences & knowledge. God be with us all! Thanks for your love & support!!!

Shellena Bivens

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert