MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

One week after Round 1 Vidaza

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board One week after Round 1 Vidaza

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    maueenh
    Participant

Well we went to see the doc yesterday after several days of procrit and neupogen and my father had to be tx for 3 pints. His platelets have plummeted from 67 just before he began Vidaza to 32 yesterday WB 1.6, RBC 2.2, HGB 7.3,HCT 21.2. I know that people have said that #s drop but do they drop this much. They took him off the coumadin and will be giving him daily neupogen for the next few days. When he has these tx they admit him overnight. Is this usually the case. They said each bag takes 3 hours.

Maureen

patti

Hi Maureen,

It is very normal for counts to drop this much with Vidaza. It will take some time for them to come back, but they will.

Every place transfuses differently. Mom goes to an outpatient infusion clinic which she far prefers over the hospital. Where she goes it usually takes 2hrs per pint of blood. It doesn’t surprise me it would take 3hrs at the hospital. Nurses are usually too busy to worry (or care) about how fast the blood is dripping. I’ve just learned to turn mom’s up to the right speed without the nurses. When they come to check the drip rate I just tell them that I already increased it. But I had one of the nurses show me how to do it before I tried it!

Patti

maueenh
    Participant

His platelets went from 32 yesterday to 20 this morning so my mom just called and said they were transfusing him with 2 bags of platelets before releasing him from the hospital. I’m glad to hear that this is normal and we will look into going elsewhere for future tx. Thanks again.
    Maureen

lynette

Hi!
    As a nurse, I know that we can be very busy. However, transfusing a patient is one of the most regulated procedures in the hospital. Blood typically takes 2-4 hours for infusion(1 unit of PRBCs). The blood should not infuse faster that the MD orders. Too fast may cause fluid overload in the elderly. Although we(as family members) want to see the blood pour in– as to help our loved ones, it is not a good idea. Two hours is the absolute minimum!! Three or four hours means that the staff is being extra cautious, perhaps because of age. However, blood should never hang more 4 hours.
    Good luck,
    Lynette

maueenh
    Participant

Thanks Lynette. My Dad does have atrial fib so I would assume the doc has recommended a slower tx. One of the problems we have run into is the hospital does not have its own blood bank and we have had to wait to get the blood. Thanks for the clarification.

Maureen

patti

Hi Lynette,

You’re not kidding when you say how regulated transfusions are! This week when mom was getting transfused the nurse told me they changed the procedure for drops per minute. Their staff now has to calculate how many cc’s are in the bag and divide by some mysterious number they didn’t tell me to determine how fast they should infuse the blood. It did slow things down greatly! It normally takes 2hrs 5 minutes for a bag and mom’s first bag took 3hrs 20min! They said it had more cc’s in it then the others did. Good grief. Isn’t 40 drops a second slow enough? smile

Thanks for the info. Always helpful to have a nurse on board. smile

Patti

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert