MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

OPC-3

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    SFC

Hi,

Does anyone know that OPC-3 would help MDS patient to increase blood counts? Recently I heard this product from two of my friends in different states.

Thanks

Terri

I Found the information below on this, Not sure if that alone could increase blood counts and I would suggest asking a qualified Nutritionist and your Doctor. We have gone the Alternative route in conjunction with the conventional and it is working, but the OPC is not in our regiment but our Nutritionist has bob on tons of supplements and vitamins that I feel are working.

Results of search are below:

OPCs should be taken in conjunction with foods or dietary supplements rich in vitamin C, vitamin e, beta-carotene, and selenium, to name a few antioxidants.

Isotonix® OPC-3 is a powerful combination of plant-derived bioflavonoids, known as oligomeric proanthocyanidins, or OPC’s. Made from a unique combination of grape seed, pine bark and red wine extracts (in addition to bilberry and citrus extracts), these OPC’s are super-effective free radical neutralizers. Not limited to just being strong antioxidants, OPCs are also crucial in their role in supporting the circulatory system and strengthening the capillaries. OPC-3 is a natural, great tasting supplement that should be taken for a lifetime!

The Advantage of Isotonix® Products

When we eat food, drink a beverage, or ingest most nutritional supplements, the stomach must secrete diluting juices, enzymes, hydrochloric acid, and at least one vitamin-binding protein to begin the process of digestion. This process requires energy and time — about 40 minutes or more, depending on the size of the meal. Isotonix products are great-tasting powders that are mixed with water. They are then delivered into the small intestine nutritionally concentrated, maximizing the opportunity for absorption of nutrients across cell membranes. Isotonix products are usually taken on an empty stomach, dramatically shortening the transit time through the stomach. This minimizes the chance that important micronutrients will be trapped by fats, fibers, and tannins or inactivated by a highly acidic pH level that can neutralize the nutritional value. The solution can then flow into the small intestine, where a small volume of pancreatic digestive juice mixes with it, adding sodium bicarbonate to adjust the pH to neutral, thereby maximizing the potential uptake of micronutrients.

frank
    Participant

Thank you, Terri

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert