MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Our Story about living with MDS has been published

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Our Story about living with MDS has been published

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)
  • Author
    SandyB

In our quest to try and get more publicity for MDS and people involved in supporting it’s research, I wrote an article about our life.

It has been published at http://www.healthmad.com Right now it is on the front page as a promoted feature story.

I am trying to get it published in a national magazine as well.

If anyone is interested in doing the same, I would be more than happy to help.

Please email me at: SBarbor@comcast.net if you are interested.

Jack_dup1

Sandy,
    Great news, great article. Not a happy one, but I’m hoping for a happy ending.
    Jack

Bkwits

Sandy,
    What an informative article and a wonderful tribute to Mike. Thank you for your efforts in educating the public and generating funding for research of MDS. Barb

riley

Sandy,

That article is absolutely beautiful. Thank you for sharing it with us — and thank you for all that you’re doing to educate others about MDS and encourage more research.

Nicole

eve

is there any way to get the ads off the print – would love to read the whole article but the ads are blocking the lower half of each page

eve

SandyB

Eve:

Unfortunately I have no control over the advertising on HealthMad.

If you email me (SBarbor@comcast.net) I will email you the article from my computer.

Sandy

Terri

Sandy what a wonderful article, I wish I had the same writing skills but the sound of your story sounds so familiar. When we first went to our Primary never heard of MDS when I searched prior to the Hemo visit all I could find was info on Leukemia.
    Thank you for sharing this.

eve

sandy

great and informative article – hope many people who know nothing about mds read it and maybe get inspired to help fight this horrific disease

good luck in your continued quest for awareness and good luck with mike’s health

eve

KWJ

That is a great tribute to Mike and to you. Thanks for sharing it. Keep up the good fight! I am pulling for you guys.

choijk

Sandy,

I just read your article and it is simlply beautiful. Today was a hard day for me because my dad’s hgb just dropped from a 9.4 to a 6.9 within 2 weeks. It was just a blow both emotionally and mentally. But when I read your article, I realized I just need to pick myself up and continue to spread the awareness of MDS to anyone and everyone. Thank you for your ongoing crusade to find the cure for your husband and for all those families that are living with MDS. God Bless you.

SandyB

Thank you all for your wonderful thoughts and praise. I am touched.

Just to keep you up to date. Yesterday, there were close to 400 people who read the article. That is pretty good for one day.

Some of you have requested that I email the story and say you will be passing it along. A couple even asked for a printable copy to send to their legislators. I am open to any suggestions on how to make the article work for us in getting attention and hopefully reasearch dollars.

SandyB

Good Morning All:

Just an update on the article. To date 529 people have read the article. This has driven up the number of letters being printed off to send to Congress.

The not so good news. I submitted the article to Women’s World, and the following was the reply I received:

Hi Sandy,

I was out for a couple of days and am not sure if I responded to this e-mail. So if this is a duplicate, please forgive me. I did receive your submission. Unfortunately, as emotional and dramatic as the story is, it doesn’t meet our requirements. All of our stories need to have happy endings. We would need your husband to beat the disease. Our thoughts and prayers will be with both you and your husband.

Kathy

I guess important issues like how to remove crayon marks from a tee-shirt is more important to Women’s World.

Bkwits

quote from Kathy at “Women’s World” >>>>All of our stories need to have happy endings. We would need your husband to beat the disease. >>>>

Yeah, if she can just tell us how to do that. geessh!

riley

Sandy,

I’m very sorry to hear that they turned down such a great article — and in such an insensitive way.

I hope you’ll keep trying other avenues to get your article published. With 529 people reading it in the first six days it was online, there’s obviously interest in what you have to say.

Nicole

J.claire

That response from Women’s World is so incredibly insensitive that I will NEVER read that magazine again, even if it is free in the waiting room! Keep on trying to get your story published. How about trying O, the Oprah Magazine? I applaud your courage and stick-to-ed-ness.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 17 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert