MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Papaya leaves

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Papaya leaves

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Carolyn Allen
    Participant

I understand that pawpaw leaves help raise platelet levels. Has anyone tried this – and with what results?

tam
    Participant

Carolyn:
    Below is an earlier post of mine about platelet counts.

For low platelets you might want to try organic dry papaya leaf. I buy 1 pound bags of organic leaves online from Starwest Botanicals, but there are other retailers. I buy paper tea bags and scoop a tablespoon of dry leaves in each bag and staple shut. Steep the papaya tea bag in hot water for 5-6 minutes. It may help. There is research showing that papaya can increase platelets. I have been drinking one cup per day for six years and my platelets have increased from where they were when I started. Give it a try — it certainly won’t hurt. I have read that two cups per day is completely safe. Good luck.
    TAM

Clement Rose
    Participant

I too drink papaya leaf tea and papaya juice. I also take Black Sesame Seed capsules. I can’t say they have helped me. I recently had a heart attack along with the MDS. It was found my platelet count was down to seven. I have had several platelet transfusions since, but they have not helped. My oncologist has suggested I start on Proscrit in hopes of increasing my red blood cell count. But the side effects list too many problems involving the heart. I am still pondering that move. But like TAM stated, papaya will not hurt you.

Mer Stpierre
    Participant

I added organic papaya leaf powder to my daily juice at the end of February. Unfortunately, my platelets have been as high as 145k and this week down to 25k. So, am unsure of any benefit (same with wheatgrass for hemoglobin). I haven’t seen any real scientific studies on either of these, just anecdotal accounts, but my oncologist agreed it could not hurt.

Susan Paolilli
    Participant

Hi Carolyn and Allen! When I was diagnosed 1 yr ago, I was very frustrated when I was told that there were no treatments so I used the NCBI website for my research. If you type in “herbal treatments for thrombocytopenia”, a number of promising research studies will discuss herbal treatments for thrombocytopenia in your case or neutropenia in my case. I have been on the herbal and acupuncture protocol for a while and my blood counts are greatly improved. I hope you can find something useful.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert