MDS is a bone marrow failure disorder
MDS is a blood cancer
Learn More >

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board Post New Thread

Welcome to the MDS Patient Message Board. We hope that you will find this to be a very valuable resource in your journey. We have recently revised the format of our forum to be much more user friendly and pleasing on the eyes. Let us know if you have any problems, or if you have additional suggestions on how we might further improve our site.

Platelet clumping

Home Demo forums Patient Message Board Platelet clumping

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Jack_dup1

I have had a problem with my weekly platelet counts fluctuating quite a bit. my counts were 80k, then 12k, 32k, 80, 34, 62. This is important to me because I have to stop my Zarnestra when to platelets are less than 50.
    I had my platelets done on Monday locally, they were 34, I had them done the following day in Ohama using a separate tube for platelets because the Doc. suspected platelet clumping, the counts were 68.
    I’m sure many of you are aware of clumping, it is usually caused by EDTA, an anticoagulant used in CBC test tubes.
    I returned to the local hospital and had blood redrawn, they used the normal tube for CBC and a different type of tube for platelets only, the CBC tube results were 32k for platelets, platelet tube was 68
    Jack

Terri

Jack, They used to manually count Bobs plts since they were always his problem.
    Always much lower then the cbc

Jack_dup1

I just can’t believe that non of you have had false low platelet counts due to platelet clumping, Google it, I was amazed at the lack of comment or sharing of experience on the subject
    Jack

Jack_dup1

I just can’t believe that non of you have had false low platelet counts due to platelet clumping, Google it, I was amazed at the lack of comment or sharing of experience on the subject
    Jack

Lori C

Jack,

Grant has had EDTA platelet clumping before. It was when he had ET instead of CMML and his platelets were normally over a million. We got a platelet count back at like 300,000 and knew something was up. So, now they draw Grant’s blood using sodium citrate. They also run his blood faster than they would if he didn’t have the EDTA platelet clumping. Also, they run a manual differential every time he has a CBC. Grant’s dr. told us that it happens less than .1% and it is a rare phenomenon. Grant has been full of all kinds of rare phenomenon, unfortunately.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

Register for an account, or login to post to our message boards. Click here.

• You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Login

Login

Review answers to commonly asked questions or get answers to your questions from an MDS expert